Chapter 12

Adelaide

I decide on jeans and a khaki floaty blouse, with the black ballet pumps. Not formal but not informal. I try to find the kitchen guessing that's where Wade would be. I peered into the kitchen, the brilliant white of the whole room almost blinding me. I never understood when people designed their homes so it hurt our senses. They are all wolves after all.

A woman is stood by the hob, "Excuse me, do you know where Wade is?" I ask her politely, she turns on the spot and instantly drops into a bow "Your Highness, I apologise I didn't see you there. He-he's in the conservatory, I-I can show you" she checks on what she was cooking

"Oh. No need, I know where to go" the woman bows again before I leave.

I reach the conservatory and can see Wade through the French doors. The external doors are open letting in the morning sun. I walk towards the table, he must be deep in thought as he doesn't seem to hear my footsteps "Good Morning" I try to remember what Trey said. I'm safe. Wade leaps to his feet "Adelaide... Good Morning" I think I scared him, I can hear his heart pounding in his muscular chest. "Please, take a seat, I- I hope you like pastries" he gestures to the other side of the table.

"I hope you don't mind, but I've sent my father away so we could get to know each other without him... interrupting." I hide my gulp by quickly eating a croissant. "So what would you like to do today?" Wade bit into a pan aux chocolat. Go home? Free my brother? Kill Samual?

"I don't really know what to do around here, what would you suggest?" I speak carefully to try not give my real thoughts away.

"We could go for a walk? There's a wood half a mile away, we use it for training mainly but, it's a beautiful stroll"

"That sounds, pleasant" I try to keep my tone airy, but I knew there was an undertone of disdain I didn't hide. Wade noticed "Or, we can, do something else of course" I inwardly smack myself.

"No, a walk around your woods sounds like a lovely idea" I give him the biggest smile I can give... which was a small smile.

A knock allowed me to look away from Wade. Trey's light brown head pokes through the double doors, my heart gave a small flutter thinking about the kiss that morning. "Princess, Wade, I was wondering if you fancied a movie night tonight? I can get everything sorted while you... go do whatever you were going to do" he smiles sheepishly.

I can tell their good friends, they have that look to each other that guys that love each other do. I've always thought it's an Alpha, Beta thing. Relying on someone so heavily, an Alpha trusts his Beta with his life, his family. Father was devastated when Samual left, he didn't tell us but I knew, he wasn't the same for a long time.

"It's up to you Adelaide?" Wade was looking at me.

"Sounds nice, relax in front of a film." Now I sound airy. 

"Perfect, I'll get everything sorted for tonight" Trey's head disappears.

We finish breakfast and Wade stands "You ready to head to the woods?" I nod. As I walk just behind him he falls back a step and slips in arm around my waist. I tense, he either doesn't notice or doesn't care as he keeps his arm there, hand resting in the curve on my waist. We near the trees and he lets me go, I let out an inaudible sigh.

'Oh, I liked his touch'

'I didn't, I told you I need your strength not your stupid lust' I snap at her, she retreats, I feel her slip further back than normal. I don't mind though, her belief that he's our mate is ludicrous. Fake mate, yes, real mate. No. Forced mate. Yes. Soulmate, absolutely fucking not.

We enter the tree line and I have to admit I instantly feel safer. I know trees, trees offer coverage; they offer hiding spots. And many wolves are not adapt at weaving in and out of the trunks, but I made it my mission as something to excel at.

"Where did you send your father?" I ask as I allow my hands to brush the bark of trees as we pass.

"A log cabin about ten miles away, said he needed to work out his next Beta. He hasn't replaced him yet, he died over four months ago."

"Oh?" I manage to sound surprised, knowing full well how he died.

"Yeah, was sad really, I was away at the time and we had a rogue attack, he died. I didn't think a rogue could take him down. He was an excellent fighter. But dad's been in a fit of rage since... oh... you don't need to hear this."

"It's fine, I don't mind. I'm used to general pack politics" I wonder what Wade would do if he knew it was me who killed the Beta? I decide to change the subject.

"Do you climb?" I ask looking up at a challenging, but climbable tree. Before Wade can answer I kick off my pumps and leap into the air clamping my hands onto a branch that had been ten feet above me. I try to pull myself up, but I no longer have the strength.

'I know you're mad, but I'm showing off and I need a bit of your strength' I hear her sigh but I feel the push I need to clamber onto the branch. All be it less graceful than I would normally.

"Princess, don't hurt yourself" Wade shouts up.

"Why don't you join me?" I shout down as I sit comfortably, legs swinging either side of the branch. I'm being the least lady like, but in that moment, I don't feel like he can hurt me, or my brother. I'm not offending him, I'm not telling him no. I'm breaking no rules.

Wade looks up and seems to be plucking up courage. He crouches then leaps into the air. He just grips the branch I'm on and seems to struggle for a moment. I lean forward and grip his forearm, feeling his muscles strain beneath the shirt fabric. I help him to steady himself enough to swing his leg over and straddle the branch.

"Huh, never done that before" his face lit up by a goofy smile. It doesn't suit him, his tall muscular frame, serious eyes... and that smile. My wolf purrs in my head. I sit there and watch him. My head slightly cocked to the side. His dark hair styled back. His green eyes bright, they're the brightest eyes I've ever seen. His thick arms tensing as he holds on to the branch.

"Why do I feel like I'm being studied?" his smooth voice makes me focus back.

"Apologies, I hadn't..." I let my voice fade,

"It's OK, you can study me any time" he shrugs. I can see his knuckles turning white. Guess my freedom in the trees should come to an end.

"You can jump down, I'll follow" I don't want to get down from the tree. But Wade looks uncomfortable, if he was trying to impress me and he was a mate interest, I'd have probably made him sweat a little... but I didn't need to. I was going to be forced to be with him. Forced to bear his mark, forced to have his pups. I shudder.

Wade smiles to me which I barely notice before he hops down. I steal a precious few seconds more. The feeling of safety before I too jump from the branch, landing in a crouch. I slip my shoes back on and we continue to walk.

Please vote, comment and share! :)