Chapter 26

Wade

"Shit" I mutter to myself as I look up another flight of stairs, and then look down the multiple corridors. No-one seems to be around either, where's their staff? I hear movement behind me so I turn. A man marching confidently down the corridor, medium brown hair, slim but good build. His gold eyes give him away, this must be Prince Marc. "What are you doing with my sister?" he demands, approaching with long strides. I unconsciously growl as he approaches his arms out to take my mate. He stops, a glint of anger flickering in his eyes that look so much like Adelaide's.

"Excuse me, do you know who I am?" The Prince puffs his chest out trying to look important, I'm getting frustrated at his lack of urgency. I can feel Adelaide slipping in my arms, I readjust my grip. "Punish me later, I need to get her laid down, she fainted." I growl towards him, I'm trying not to but my wolf is getting pissed, his mate's hurting. Prince Marc's eyes soften before he turns gesturing with his head for me to follow "Her room's in the family wing, follow me".

He leads me down the corridor, turning left to a pair of white grand double doors, more gold gilded the trim. The Prince leads me through them a pack member bowing as he walk past. We pass a private sitting room, leather sofas sat around a fire place. Bookshelves covered the walls, we kept going past more doors decorated in gold.

After what feels like an eternity, when in fact it was less than a minute. A door's opened to obviously Adelaide's room. Deep purple hangings surround her bed, a white dresser with multiple bottles lined up over the surface. Net curtains fall over the window creating a slightly softer light. Honestly? The room seemed to suit her; delicate but bold.

I gently place Adelaide onto her four-poster bed. As soon as her body's away from mine a piece is missing from my being. I stroke her cheek gently, the man behind me cleared his throat. I turn, the fire is back in the Prince's eyes "Thank you for getting her safely here, you may leave now" his tone full of authority, even I felt the need to submit to him.

"My Prince" I bow "She is my mate, I cannot leave her" I say down to my toes before looking up slightly, my back still bent. "Nonsense, my sister does not have a mate. She has been recuperating after her terrible ordeal."

I hesitate, I realise he doesn't know who I am. "I'm ever so sorry to disagree, but she is my mate. I've been signing a treaty with your father... after what my father did to her" I say carefully, trying to portray I am not my father. "You" he spat, taking a step towards me, "You destroyed her, how dare you claim to be her mate! Your father orchestrated the whole thing!" he takes another menacing step towards me.

I'm not going to fight him, he's royalty. I put my hands out in a surrender "How dare you come here! How dare you touch her!" his voice growing louder, his anger evident.

"My Prince... Please I'm here on the King's request." I keep my voice calm despite my wolf growling inside of me. I turn my head, neck offered in submission hoping he accepts it. He doesn't.

A hand wraps tightly around my throat and I'm slammed into a wall. His strength is impressive, he didn't look nearly as built as me, but he's able to lift me from the floor with one hand. His hand squeezes, making me choke.

I can't fight back, if I fight it's treason.

I can't fight.

Spots descend on my vision. My wolf fights for control and I feel my claws extend in defense.

"PUT HIM DOWN!"

The hand retracts from my neck and I land on the floor. Coughing and gasping scratching at my neck at the residual effects. I gulp in air looking up to the furious looking King.I don't want to appear weak in front of these men. So right myself quickly, and force my breathing to come out more natural. "Marcus Alexander, I should not need to remind you to not assault my guests!" King Xander's golden eyes wide in fury.

"Father! He's the reason Adelaide has awoken screaming every night! He's the reason she's terrified to leave our grounds! And he has the audacity to claim to be her mate!" My heart gave a painful pang at hearing the residual pain she was experiencing. I instinctively look towards her sleeping figure. Her face calm and relaxed as if she had no troubles in the world.

"Mind your tongue child" a growl reverberated around the room, my wolf instantly flinched and wanted me to cower away. Marc seemed to not notice his father's growls and squared up to him, his jaw clenched. "I am not a child, Father. I am the future King!"

"Which you are obviously not ready for, judging by your behaviour" King Xander's voice had turned low. King Xander turned to me, "I deeply apologise for my son's behaviour Alpha Blackwood, please, to compensate you are welcome to stay as long as you wish. Maybe getting to know my daughter on her terms will help her warm to you"

"But... but father!"

"Enough!" the King grabbed his son by the scruff of his neck and dragged him from the room. King Xander's head pops back through the door frame "Alpha Blackwood, please clean up before my daughter sees you" he disappears and I can hear him berating the prince all the way down the hall.

I look around the room, I should probably leave but I've spent 3 months away from her, and now I know she feels the same, I'm sure of it. I don't want to leave her alone. I nip into her bathroom and notice my reflection. I look a mess, my cheek showing signs of bruising and dried blood covers my top lip, chin and chest because my nose is broken. I take a deep breath, this is going to hurt.

I take a hand towel that's folded next to the basin and bite onto the soft fabric. I take another breath and reset the cartilage in my nose. The pain seared through my face, a cry muffled as I pant heavily into the towel. When I've calmed a little I remove the towel and start cleaning the blood. Once I'm clean, my shirt goes back on.

I throw the towel into her dirty washing basket in the dressing room. While there I see a chair so I move it to be next to her. Sitting down I take her delicate hand in mine, my hand dwarfs hers. I sigh, her brother's words playing in my head 'He's the reason Adelaide has awoken screaming every night.' is it really my face that wakes her up? I lean down to kiss her hand "I'm so sorry my love." I lean my forehead on her hand and I didn't mean to, but I drifted off feeling safe and calm with her skin contact.