Chapter 31

Third person – narrator

Everyone looked down to the innocent face of Christopher. His ordeal had forced a regression on the young prince to protect himself from the difficulties he had faced. But his innocent wording had moved all the adults in the room.

Trey moved to pick up the youngster, he had grown attached to the boy during his time in captivity and wanted to look after him even now he knew he was safe with his family. Christopher allowed 'his nice man' to place him on Trey's hip. Christopher cuddled into him feeling the comfort that he brought. Christopher couldn't explain it, but Trey brought a comfort that his parents couldn't give him.

Adelaide wiped her eyes "Can I go train now?" Xander sighed, exasperated with his daughter. He wished she would just accept her pain and go through a healing process. It had been 3 months, he at least expected her to be getting better. But the last few weeks she had by far got worse. She would scream in her sleep a few times a night. He and the Queen had moved from the King's wing to their old room in the Family wing so they could be there to soothe her. Nothing seemed to work though. She awoke screaming, then would sleep talk for a while, then finally settle. However if it wasn't Adelaide it was Christopher. Together meant Xander had got very little sleep since his younger children arrived home, and he was worried soon he would be unable to run the Kingdom effectively.

Xander rubbed his tired face and sighed again, "Fine, you can go with Marc and your guards"

"But-" she began to protest but the look Xander gave her quelled her protest as soon as it began. She let out a little huff before stalking out the door, Marc following her close behind.

"My King, why don't you go lie down, Adelaide is safe, and we can look after Christopher" Wade had bowed in case his notion was taken in offence. Xander sighed and nodded. "Elsbeth, shall we?" The Queen nodded and took her husband's hand. Wade sat in one of the sofas as did Trey, Christopher still clung like a spider monkey to him.

"Trey, I've decided on your punishment" he looked towards Christopher, realising he needed to choose his words wisely "You're being promoted" Trey looked to Wade in confusion, before a slight realisation crossed his face "Hey buddy, you don't have any cookies in the kitchen do you?" Christopher looked up to him "Course we do."

"Ah, great could you go get me some? Take a grownup with you. I just need to talk to my friend for a bit... ya know super boring adult stuff" Trey said in a very pup friendly manner.

"OK!" Christopher clambered down and left the family wing, Wade and Trey heard "Excuse me! I need to go to the kitchen and I want you to come! Please!" as he obviously addressed a guard that was out of the wing.

"You're sending me back to the pack aren't you?" Trey sighed,

"Yes, I need to get Adelaide in a better state of mind, it's partly my fault. The King has offered for one of his advisor's to go with you, I accepted just as an extra pair of hands." Trey nodded sadly

"You don't want me to lay eyes on Adelaide"

"No. If she's torn between the two of us and she fights the mate bond she will never get better. Her mind needs to be clear for her to accept her pain. She needs to move on." Trey pursed his lips he wanted to be the one to help her heal, at least he hadn't been the one to break her in the first place. He hated what his friend was doing, he didn't feel like he could move on from Adelaide. He knew deep down he couldn't just be friends with her.

"My duty is to my Pack. I'll explain you have stayed behind to help your... mate. I will run as Alpha until you are able to return" he stated stoically

"Thank you" Wade had noticed the platonic tone. He knew it was hard on Trey but, unless Adelaide rejected him he would be hers and she would be his. The only saviour for Trey would be for him to find his actual mate, and when Adelaide becomes their Alpha Female. He would send Trey to find his mate.

Christopher came bounding back in with a plate of cookies. One fell to the floor which he picked up and put back on the plate "Thanks buddy!" Trey picked up one of the undropped cookies, as did Wade.

A silence descended on the living room. "Can you stay forever?" Christopher tugged on Trey's sleeve. Crumbs dropped from his cookie. Trey gave Wade a pointed look. "Buddy, I don't live here"

"You could do." Trey sighed, not wanting to hurt him.

"We'll see bud. We'll see."

~~~~~~

Adelaide was knocked to the ground again. Marc wasn't going easy and although it was frustrating she was glad of it. It demonstrated to her how much stronger she needed to become. She got back to her feet, feeling the bruises forming. "Enough" Marc straightened.

"No" Adelaide kicked out to him landing the ball of her foot in his chest. The force caused him to stumble a few steps back. She used the opening to move in close, she punched with her left then right fist. Marc blocked the first punch but missed the second which landed on his jaw. Adelaide lunged at him making Marc land heavily onto his back. He flipped her off him and pinned her to the ground, sweat streaming off his face.

"I said enough!" he shouted down to Adelaide. She fought his arm away but he was leaning all his body weight into his arm. Marc scowled down to her, his chest rising and falling heavily with the effort of keeping her down. "At least some of my strikes have bruised you. Stop"

"I'm not tired yet" she wriggled

"How? We've been sparring for over an hour"

"I'll spar Gary then" She huffed

"No. You need to stop!" Adelaide growled up to Marc,

"You can't tell me what to do" she said though gritted teeth. Marc suddenly released her and stood. "No. I can't. But I can care about you enough to tell you you're killing yourself. No-one should train for this long. No-one should spar with no breaks" Adelaide stood

"I can. I need to"

"Why do you need to?" Marc had turned and grabbed hold of her arms "Why?" he yelled to her face.

"It keeps the memories away!" she shouted without thinking. Her eyes widened realising what she's said... and admitted to.

Marc's hands dropped suddenly from his sister. In that moment he knew she remembered. With that... it explained every little bit of her behaviour. "Adelaide..." he blinked at her

"No." she spun away and stomped off into the woods. Marc motioned to the guards to follow her before he dropped down to the grass, his heart breaking for his little sister.