Chapter 10

Adelaide

The starter of shell fish arrived. I try to take measured bites but I'm starving, I hadn't eaten since the day before. I finish the starter quicker than Wade and nibble on a dinner roll from one of the baskets that had been placed on intervals up the table. They're still warm, warm bread tastes the best.

I look down over the many tables; I guessed there was around thirty wolves, making this a small pack, I recognise some of the faces around the room. They had left our pack when Samual did. Many I don't recognise, I suspect some may have been bitten in. My eye catches Trey's, he gives a small smile up to me, I smile back. At least he's here.

The main is soon served, Beef Wellington with roast potatoes and asparagus. It all tastes lovely. Again I try to eat slowly which is a bit easier now I have something in my stomach. Wade engages me in small talk while we eat. He's trying to impress me, I don't want him to. What if Wade rejects me? What would Samual do then? I probably shouldn't think like that, I doubt Samual would keep me or Christopher alive.

After the main had been cleared away Wade clears his throat to me "Would I be able to introduce you to my future Beta?" he smiles to me, his eyes telling me he wanted approval.

"Of course" I say quietly, he gets from his chair which I copy. He places his hand on the small of my back which makes me involuntarily flinch. I think he noticed as he removes his hand. He directs me to Trey "Princess, please meet Trey Smithson" Trey stood and bowed to me

"It's an honour Princess Adelaide"

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr Smithson" our eyes meet, his beautiful kind hazel eyes. I want to gaze into them all day. "Please Princess, Trey will be just fine" he gave me the tiniest knowing smile.

"Therefore you can call me Adelaide" I offered him my hand, I wanted him to touch me, I wanted the familiar warmth. He obliged and laid a gentle kiss to my hand before straightening. I took a second to catch his eye before Wade lead me away.

Wade introduces me to other higher ranking members of the pack, I couldn't keep track of their names. I was just trying to focus on being polite and what they would all expect. One of the men I meet makes me uneasy, his scar running across his face. And something about his eyes. I think I recognise him, he was probably part of father's guard at some point, but why is my stomach knotting at the sight of him? Before I can think more about it. The dessert finally starts coming out so Wade and I return to the table. I let out a little sigh as I feel less under the microscope.

I finish the profiteroles as Wade does. He grazes his hand against my thigh, I purse my lips to try prevent my flinch "Would you do me the honour of going for a walk with me?" my lip instantly goes between my teeth before I force myself to act normal, I swallow "Of course" I feel my skin go cold, I know what he wants to do. But I hold my head up and follow him from the banquet hall.

He's going to take me to his room.

He's going to mark me.

There's nothing I can do. My heart beats painfully in my chest as we near the stairs. Come on Adelaide, you need to be strong, strong for your brother. I close my eyes for a second willing myself to calm down. Wade isn't in on his father's scheme... but it's common to mark on the first day of meeting your mate. Oh Goddess have mercy.

My stomach knots painfully but Wade leads me straight past the stairs to the games room he showed me before. He picks up a pool cue "Would you like to play?" all I can do is nod, a breath I had obviously been holding released. This wasn't what I had anticipated. We play a few rounds, I let him win. I want him to report back to Samual I was the perfect lady.

I can't help the overwhelming fear I have for the man in front of me. One word he could have my brother beaten mercilessly, one word and he could kill my brother. And according to Trey, he wouldn't even know it, almost making him more dangerous.

"Pr- Adelaide. I don't want to come over to you bold. But would you consider staying here for a few weeks? Allow me the time to show you the husband I could be for you, allow me to show you the protection I would give you. The kindness, and... and the care I can show you. Would you consider that?" he rubs the back of his neck nervously. I can see his nerves increase as the silence builds.

He's taken me by surprise. My hearts thudding in my chest. A few weeks? A few weeks to potentially trip up? But... he's not going to mark me, it may give me time to get Christopher away. I chew on the inside of my lip, hoping he can't see it. "O-of course... if you wish to go home, or look for other suitors... I-I'll understand" he stammers.

"I... yes" I take a steadying breath trying to be calm around him "I'll be honoured to stay in your wonderful home for a few weeks" I say carefully. Wade lets out a long breath.

"Thank you, thank you. I promise, I'll show you how perfect I can be for you, and... and when I'm Alpha you may see that you will rule at my side... how you should." he takes a few steps towards me.

I tense unsure what he's going to do. He looks like he's about to hug me but stops a few feet from me. And bows. "I'm honoured you have accepted my request, thank you". He straightens "Good night Princess. I'm going to retire. You are welcome to return to the banquet hall; meet more people."

"I think I'll retire too, it's been a long day."

"Of course, you had a long journey here" Wade held out his arm which I take out of courtesy. He leads me upstairs and delivers me back to my own room "Goodnight my princess" he bows again

"G-Goodnight" I close the door before the shaking brings me to my knees.

I notice a thumb lock and twist it. I crawl to the bathroom stripping off as I go. I fumble to turn on the shower and sit under the spray "I hope I did enough brother, hope you're safe for tonight".

Please vote, comment and share! :)