Chapter 27

Disclaimer - Mild references to sexual assault. 

Wade

An ear splitting scream jolts me from sleep. I'm up ready for an attack, but what I see makes me drop my fists. Adelaide, wild eyed and screaming, and scrabbling back over her bed before she runs out of mattress and lands on the floor with a thump.

I make my way around the bed but before I can get close someone streaks past me. Prince Marc is next to her in a flash, gathers her up in his arms and sits on the chase lounge; Adelaide in his lap. He holds her as if she's a toddler. Stroking her hair, "Shh, it's OK, you're safe... Shh, it's alright. You're at home little one." he mutters soothingly.

A growl starts in my chest, but before I can do anything about someone else putting his hands on what's mine, a large calming hand rests heavily on my shoulder. "It's OK son, she won't remember" King Xander states reassuringly, I look back at him, but he's not looking at me. He's watching his daughter squirm, trying to fight off her brother. I follow his line of sight, she's whimpering, "No, no". I can't see her face but I can imagine the tears rolling down her cheeks. I'm gritting my teeth without realising, my heart in my mouth.

"Son, go see your Beta, I shall see you later in my office" his eyes glaze for a few seconds "My guard will take you to the infirmary".

"I..." he turns me around so I'm facing the door. A burly man has appeared in the doorway. His face expressionless to the scene before him "She'll be back to sleep in a minute" he gives my shoulder a little push to initiate my movement, but what I hear next stops me in my tracks.

"No... no... please... I'm saving myself... please... I don't want to... Daddy! Daddy help!" I go cold. My stomach drops out of my body. I slowly turn back, the King is kneeling in front of his children. "It's OK darling, I'm here. No-one's going to hurt you" he's rubbing circles on her back staring up at his son. They both have the same horrified expression.

"Did you...?" the Prince turns his horrified face to me.

"No, no... no no." My tone changing to many different octaves as a panic fills me,

"Wade, please go see your Beta. Now" King Xander's voice has remained calm but I can see his chest heaving with the effort. I turn and allow the expressionless guard to lead me through the Palace.

I hope she was just having a nightmare, rather than reliving a memory. If it's the latter, I will find the bastard and kill him... slowly. I'm numb by the time I enter the all white infirmary. The sterile smell burning in my nostrils. Beds lined up on either side, but non are occupied. The guard leads me past the empty beds and opens a double door, entering a different section of the infirmary.

Doors stand at regular intervals, the guard gestures to one of the first doors. "I'll wait here, my King  doesn't want you to get lost" his voice gruff and monotonous. He's the perfect guard. I open the door and see Trey awake, he's already sat up but he straightens when he sees me. I can see the embarrassment written on his face.

I don't want to but I have to be harsh to him, he assaulted me. His Alpha. I can't show weakness. I allow the anger from Adelaide's words fill me. "You disgust me" I growl at him. He bows his head

"I'm sorry Alpha, I forgot myself"

"You can't forget yourself, we were in front of the King! You embarrassed me, you embarrassed my pack. You made me look weak!" I snarl.

"I'm sorry Alpha" he mutters. He's reminding me of when we would get caught breaking rules, and both our arses would be hauled in front of our fathers. A small smile tugs at the corners of my mouth at the memories.

"I'll think of your punishment. But I need to ask you a serious question" his eyes meet mine at my voice change. "Anything"

"Do you know of anyone raping Adelaide while she was with us" his eyes go wide in shock, I'm not sure I want to know the answer. "No, not that I know of, your father forbade it... but I did hear..." He trailed off, my ears burnt

"What did you hear?"

"Some of the warriors Alpha... they said they were going to, but... I doubt they did"

"I hope for her sake they didn't" I begin to shake and sit heavily into a chair beside the bed. I rub my face, my mate's hurting, so I'm hurting.

"Are you OK?" his voice full of concern, but I can still sense a fear in him. I get it, dad beat him senseless and I've just done the same. Guilt naws at me but I can't think about my best friend right now, I need to think about Adelaide. "Is there anything else you haven't told me about her time?"

"I don't think so. Your father had her in the cells for just over 4 months, he demanded her to be dosed with Wolfsbane after she killed my father. Once he believed-"

"She killed your father?" I looked to him, shocked. He hadn't mentioned that before.

"Yes," he looked confused for a moment, "I thought I mentioned it... but anyway she crumbled her shackles, literally to dust on the second day. Dad was going in to check on her and she snapped his neck. She made it to the steps before..." he takes a deep breath, shame written all over his face "I wrestled her to the ground. She also killed Dave before I got to her" I'm speechless. We remain silent for some time, I have no words.

"It's OK," he shrugs nonchalantly "she was scared, she was trying to escape. I don't blame her" he breaks the silence. A shaky breath leaves my mouth, and my wolf growls at what I say next. "You care for her don't you?"

"Of course, she's special. I thought she would be mine-" my wolf growls at him. The vibration trembling my chest, he seemingly ignored my wolf's warning and continues "But, I know she can't be. I won't stand in your way." He looks me dead in the eye, a direct challenge "But as a friend, answer me this. Do you think she'll ever forgive you?" His voice had grown harder. I clench my jaw, irritated at his question. "I'll be there for her regardless" I don't know if she will, and that scares me more than I will ever admit; even to my best friend who knows me better than me.

I sit in the chair trying to wrap my head around what I need to do. I have responsibilities now, I have a responsibility to Adelaide, but I also have a responsibility to those who remain in my pack. We were already small compared to many, but the King and his men killed 19 of my father's men before my father surrendered.

Please vote, comment and share! :)