Chapter 36: Kyle

"Jaime.."

"I messed up. This wasnt the right time, I should've waited. I should've explained my self I-.." He sighed, face resting in his palms.

Max was gone. For how long was still up to debate. But after his whole..meltdown, things didn't seem too good for them.

Kyle sighed, reaching out. The touch was small, a hand on the knee. Nothing grand but enough to have Jaime shivering. He had never seen him like this.

"It was bound to happen, Jaime. Doesnt matter when you do it. Were..we needed space. It was hard but you got us that."

"Im sorry, kid. Aint how I uh saw that going. You good?" Karie reached out, thumb brushing Jaime's soft hair.

He stopped when the man pulled away.

"J? Tsk, this about what he said?..is it?"

Kyle looked to Jaime slowly. Jaime stared back, pained and exhausted from the ridiculous situation they landed themselves in. He sighed.

He ignored the dread, gathering the strength to face the man.

"Oh come on." Karie scoffed, realizing the look on his face. "Dont tell me this is about what I d-

"Its about everything. 'Bout all of us maybe. We werent gonna last the way we were going, you know that."

He shook his head, refusing to listen. "I was just trying to protect him, man. Thats it. Its harsh, I know but what the fuck else wer- he was just gonna pussy out and let the fucker get away! I wasnt gonna let that happen!"

"Karie. What you need to do is take a step back and think. Not about us. Not about Max, because that has nothing to do with you. Alright? You have enough to worry about. You dont gotta choose us if you dont want to, you dont have to do shit but you at least need to figure it out."

Kyle reached out, pulling Jaime up to his feet. He didnt wanna speak, still wrapped in guilt. Karie was standing there like a brick wall, fuming with anger. It didnt bother them much though, they were used to the brooding.

"He was right you know. It was all of us. You two, you need to figure out what you want. And fast." He muttered, glancing to Jaime. All the drama was fucking with their lives, their schooling, their relationships but who they couldnt handle hurting the most. The one they all silently vowed to protect; Jaime.

"But dont think I don't see it. What we did. We all need this."

"Heh.."

"This isn't on you." Kyle muttered, unable to stop himself. Karie scoffed. "Fucking seems that way."

Kyle stood for a moment, thinking. If this was their last time. If Karie decided against them, Kyle honestly wouldn't blame him.

He kissed Karie once, like an old married couple or something. Like it was habit.

Perhaps like a goodbye.

Jaime hesitated, unsure of himself but hugged the man anyway.

"We fucked up a lot but you two are solid you know? You make sure you stick with him. Watch for him, promise me." Kyle nodded, they backed their way to the door.

"Was planning on it."

"Good." They heard from the man, just barely. He watched, tapping his feet as the guys he loved walked away.

Kyle snapped out of his thoughts when someone called out to him and he responded quickly with a smile on his face, one that felt less forced than usual.

It had been only a couple weeks but the two had kept true to their word, focusing back on their lives, their friends, things that mattered to them.

Apparently Kyle had been a rather uninvolved best friend lately with how much energy and time was spent on..so he worked to fix it. It was bittersweet seeing how happy Xavier became, given the fact he was the cause of his brother's unhappiness.