Platonics and Curiosity

James' POV

Alex and I are sitting in Biology when the lunch bell finally decides to grace us with its presence. Standing from my seat, I follow him out of the room, before we part ways outside the door. I raise my voice to be heard over pack members greeting me, mine and our sister pack alike.

"I'm going to pick up Jessica from English." I tell him expecting the reaction that comes. Alex rolls his eyes in exasperation before nodding and making his way towards the cafeteria as I turn on my heels, ignoring the waves and greetings as I think.

I understand Alex's aversion to Jess and I's relationship since she's not my Mate but it's been two years since I turned of age and I still haven't found the one I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with. Jess is a year younger than me but in the same boat. Alex has tried to convince me that my Mate may be in our sister pack or maybe they're younger than me, but I don't want to give myself false hope only to end up alone, bitter and Mateless.

I finally arrive at Jessica's classroom and I see her leaning against the wall, her shoulder length hair held back by white sunglasses that frame her face beautifully. She's gorgeous and sometimes I wonder why she couldn't have been my Mate but if I'm honest, I'm relieved that she's not. Something tells me I wouldn't like her as a permanent fixture in my life for some reason.

As soon as she sees me, she pushes herself off of the wall and comes to stand by my side sliding her fingers through mine. I slightly stiffen but nonetheless lace my fingers between hers as I lead us back to the Cafeteria.

Jess almost bumps into two boys at the entrance of the cafeteria but at the last minute my tug on her fingers has her stepping out the way just in time to save the oblivious wolves from an untimely collision.

I let go of her hand to grab my lunch tray, sighing as her long manicured hands wrap themselves around my bicep.

"How was the game last night?" Jessica asks me, referring to the soccer game Alex and I had went to at the human school in town.

" It was good. Our friend Cameron and his school won by two goals. It was a good game." She hums in delight over Cameron's victory knowing how close Alex and I were with a few of the humans. Our elementary and some middle schools are integrated with the supernatural and humans. Everyone is taught the basic history and letters and numbers together hand in hand until we reach high school. There, the two are separated when we learn in depth our individual histories and such.

Though some of us keep in contact with our human friends as we grow older, a lot of supernaturals loose contact and begin to stick to their "own kind". It disappoints me but I can't force people to stay friends and open minded.

   "I'm glad you had fun, but you know you could've hung out with me, too." Jessica pouts and though I once found it adorable, lately it's only managed to make me cringe.

    "I know, Jess. I can't ignore my friends though. Even the humans."

   "Not even for your girlfriend?" She asks, though I can't tell if she's serious or not. To avoid hurting her feelings, I grab her favorite snack and give her a quick hug which makes her smile.

   We quickly head to our table at the front of the room, greeting everyone that greets us. As we settle down in our seats, Jessica tries to sit on my lap, but internally panicking in virgin, I kindly use her hips to maneuver her into her own seat, much to her annoyance.

   I try and swallow the growl of frustration as Alex, who's sitting across from me gives me a knowing look. For the past few weeks, Jessica has been trying to start an intimate relationship with me. I have never shamed anyone for what they chose to do with their virtue without their Mate. But I, like many other wolves, am not partaking in any sexual relations without my soulmate, even if it means I'm a virgin until I am forty-two.