Worry and Assurances

Cody's POV

     I cling onto James as he takes me up the stairs, terrified that if I let him go again, he'll disappear into that dead cold person I had found in his room only thirty minutes ago. His arms are tight around me as I struggle to breath through my sobs and my bruised neck, the little air I'm about to snag is filled with James' scent that I suck in greedily.

     I feel him stop but I don't look up from my spot under his chin, hoping that I can trust him again to take care of me. He opens the door and steps through closing it behind him softly before walking over and sitting on what I think is a bed.

     Opening one of my eyes, I'm surprised to see my room instead of his, and I can't help but over think about what this could mean. Maybe even though his father is gone, he thinks he should reject me before my birthday can even arrive. I begin to panic until I hear soft soothing words coming from the Alpha above me.

     "Shhh, Cody, baby it's okay. I got you now. You're safe with me. I'm not going to let anything happen to you again." He tells me, voice soft as he starts to rock us side to side slowly. My whimpers and sniffles finally start to slow down enough for me to untuck myself from James' body.

     "I was so scared." I admit, voice shaking is fear. My lips start wobbling again as I think about how I almost lost my life today.

    "Shh bean, I know. I'm so sorry I put you in that position." He tells me voice full of regret and remorse.

      "I should have just listened to you." I tell him, worried that he was angry that I didn't stay away like he told Alex.

     He shakes his head and tilts my chin up with his finger tips to tell me softly, "I'm glad you didn't, bean. If you hadn't, I would be miserable. I'm free of that bastard forever now, all because of you." And the way his eyes gloss over in happy tears has me finally settling down a little bit.

     He looks away from me for a moment, taking the time to survey my room and I cringe, remembering the clothes strewn all over the place when trying to find an outfit this morning. Thankfully, the gentleman that he is, doesn't comment on it and instead smiles before looking down at me again.

     "I love it in here." He tells me, pulling me back towards him to lay my head in my happy place. I take a deep breath of pine and safety before I answer.

"Why?" I ask softly. "It's not big like yours." I picture my room, a twin size bed, a desk, a couple chairs and a bathroom. Nothing special about it at all.

"Exactly. There's no unnecessary space, it feels cozy and lived in, in here. And it looks how you smell." He explains and I frown.

"Looks how I smell?" I ask him, using my arm to wipe the snot from my nose, fully expecting a shower once I'm feeling okay enough to step out of James' reach and sight.

"You smell so calm like honey and sunshine. It's so grounding and peaceful. You're yellow curtains and cream walls makes it look like honey and the sun melted together. Coupled with the fact that it smells so completely like you? This room is easily my favorite place in the world." I'm blushing harshly once he's done, his words doing nothing to help calm my heart down.

I begin to squirm a little as I feel the need to pee growing stronger with each second until eventually I give in and begin to move myself from my place on James' lap. He emits a little growl and tightens his arms around me.

"Where are you going?" He asks and his tone is scared as if he's as terrified of letting me go as I am of not seeing him.

"James I have to pee." I tell him, wiggling in his lap as the desire grows stronger and stronger.