Sass and Secrets

James' POV

     After we woke up and Cody went back to his room, it took me a little over an hour to calm myself down and remind myself that he isn't here anymore. That as demanding and controlling as he always was behind closed doors he's not here and he can't touch me or Cody. This morning though, I woke up feeling good before I went down to grab my little bean and started us off to school with a smile on my face.

     I turn my head to look down at him, smiling lovingly at the way he swings our hands between our bodies as he skips a little with his steps. He catches me staring at him, and though his cheeks still flame up, his sassiness is stronger than ever as he sticks his tongue out at me scrunching his nose up adorably.

     I chuckle at him, shaking my head as I pull him closer to me to tuck him beneath my arm. We cross the last street on the way before we come up to the courtyard of our school. We walk up the walkway, me laughing at the silly faces he's making, completely ignoring the attention of friends greeting me on the way in. The only person I need, is currently trying not to bend over at the force of his laugher at my attempt to whistle.

     I pout as we make our way up the stairs gliding easily down the hallway to my locker first since it's e closest to the front of the building. I let Cody hug me around my broad chest and nuzzle into my neck as I work around him, grabbing the books I need for class, until I hear a throat being cleared behind me and manicured nails tapping on my back.

     'Oh kill me now. I won't mind.' Sloan complains as we turn to face none other than Jessica. I tuck my bean beneath my arm, knowing the stress of having your Mate's ex girlfriend confront you was not the best thing in the world.

     "Hi, James!" She says cheerily as if we've been good close friends all along.

     "What now, Jessica?" I ask, annoyed already with her face and this conversation. She bats her thin eyelashes and steps closer to me making me stiffen at the proximity.

      "Want to come over to my place later, ditch your little friend? My parents are on a business trip." I shit you not, bile rose in my throat so fast I damn near choked on it but before I respond, I hear a soft little growl coming from beside me and look down at Cody with awe and surprise.

     "He'll be busy tonight. Thanks." He says glaring hard at Jessica who looks taken aback as I just laugh and pull Cody closer to my body. Pride makes me puff out my chest a little loving the way he claims me so openly. 

     I roll my eyes as Jessica stamps her foot in annoyance. "You're just going to let him talk to me like that?!" She half yells at me grabbing the attention of half the hallway, Alex and Art being among them as they make their way to us.

     I look down at Cody who's teeth are still bared and back at Jessica before answering with a, "Yup." Making sure to pop my P extra hard.

     'She better watch what she says next.' Sloan warns his teeth baring at Jessica. 'Because I got time today for her manipulative ass.'

     "And who the hell is he to talk to me like that, the stupid runt." She spits. I shake my head wishing she would've just taken Sloan's warning, struggling to hold him back as he gives her every insult in the book. But again, Cody surprises me by saying something first.

     "Your Luna, you ignorant hippopotamus. And we don't use that word around here, slut." A collective gasps flutters through the hall before hoots and hollers of laughter erupt coupled with shouts of congrats throughout the corridors of the school. Jessica's look of shock turn to rage before she leans close to the two of us so only we can hear the unveiled threat.