Chapter Nine

3rd Person POV:

For a minute, it was like time had frozen, and Kara was staring in awe at the all too familiar mark on her teacher's arm. That was until she heard her name being called, and noticed the blur of a hand swiping back and forth in front of her face.

Kara's vision finally re-focused on a pair of worried green eyes, and she let a small smile grace her lips. "Hey Kara, you with me?" asked Lena, still sounding slightly concerned, "u-um y-yeah, yeah, I'm good. I was uh- just noticing that mark on your wrist, it's interesting."

Kara tried her best not to sound suspicious while she spoke and kept her right hand buried underneath the comforter, "Oh, this? It's just a birthmark, at least that's what I've always assumed it was. I mean, I was born with it. It's just very unique because it's shaped like a star, it always made me feel like I was special somehow."

Kara just nodded. There were so many thoughts going through her head at once, and she was trying to figure out if this meant what she thought it meant. It just didn't make any sense, Lena was a human, and from what Eliza told her, Kara was pretty sure there were no soulmates on earth.

Furthermore, for the past two years Kara had believed that her soulmate died when Krypton did, but if Lena was her soulmate, that means that Rao already knew of Krypton's destruction and that Kara would be sent to earth, so he made sure her soulmate was born on earth, and not on Krypton.

She had to get more information, she had to make sense of all this. Maybe there was a possibility that Lena was also from Krypton, and she just wasn't telling her for the same reason that Kara can't reveal her identity to anyone. The teen knew it was a stretch, but the notion that her fate was predetermined by Rao form birth, isn't what she was taught growing up.

To be honest, that thought kind of scared her, even if that was the most plausible explanation, for some reason Kara wanted there to be a different one. "I hope this isn't too personal, but I told you so much about my past, and you had mentioned that you were also adopted, do you mind me asking what growing up was like for you?"

Lena smiled, she seemed Happy that the girl she felt so drawn to was also interested in her past, "Of course. Well, I was born in Ireland, but when I was four my mother died of cancer." Kara furrowed her eyebrows at this, "I'm sorry." Is all she said. To be completely honest, the blonde wasn't exactly sure what cancer was, no one had ever mentioned it to her before.

The ravenette shook her head, "Its fine, I was too young to really understand what had happened. Anyway, I was going to be put in foster care, but out of nowhere, a single woman from America with a lot of money, came forward wanting to adopt me." "How did she find out about you all the way in Ireland?"

"Well, my mother was quite well known, she was an Irish model, and her death was on many Irish news stations, so I guess Lillian saw the story somewhere. That's her name, Lillian Luthor. (Note: Lillian isn't a mean murderous psychopath in this story.) She adopted me, and my last name was changed from McGrath to Luthor."

Kara cocked her head to the side in contemplation for a second before asking, "So, you never had a father growing up?" Lena shook her head. "Lillian was a very independent woman, she never seemed very interested in a relationship, but she was still a good mother. From the moment she moved me to America and brought me into her home, she treated me like her own daughter."

Kara smiled, "Yeah, that's how Eliza is with me. I haven't been here very long but she's always made me feel like I've been a part of this family my whole life." The Ravenette just smiled at the comment, while Kara slipped back into her head.

The Kryptonian was sure now that Lena was a human. She had listened to Lena's heartbeat while she spoke and paid attention to little details, there was absolutely no chance she was lying. Not to mention the fact that Kara had experienced her teacher's Human tendencies first hand, like earlier that day when she had trouble carrying that stack of paper.