twelve

Just over two years later...

--

"Mm... Coopie," Travis groans, pulling their sheets over his face. "Turn the lights out please."

"That's the fucking sun."

Cooper can't help but smile, Travis is endearing at the best of times but his curly brown hair is oh so petable in this golden light. Travis pulls the sheets down just enough to glare at Cooper.

"C'mon," Cooper says, climbing to his feet. "We've got company today, remember?"

Travis's eyes widen in horror and Cooper kisses his forehead. "We do?!"

"Mhm Trav, we're inviting the guys over for a fourth of july BBQ. They're gonna be here..." He checks his phone's clock to find that it's nearing noon. "Oh shit any second now."

He's quick to rise, throwing the blankets off Travis as well. Their giant closet lights itself up when Cooper opens the door, he'd been in just his boxers at a few parties with these guys before but this wasn't that kind of party. He needed actual clothes.

Just as he finishes pulling on the last of them, their doorbell rings. "I'm gonna go get that, you'll be down soon though?"

Travis whines but doesn't protest, so Cooper heads off.

Their house is warm with the day and brightly lit, he debates sliding down the railing of the stairs but elects to not break his spine. The doorbell rings before he gets to it and he groans inwardly.

"Dude," Cooper repremamds as he opens the door, "fuckin' calm down, shit."

None other than Ted smiles down at him, a sort of bloodlust in his eyes and a cooler in one hand. "The Grill Master is always on time."

"I'm never calling you that dude."

"You will," he smiles and leans down to kiss Cooper. It's short and sweet and he leaves Cooper wanting more. "Charlie's right behind me."

He heads off through the house and exits right into the backyard, leaving the french doors open in his wake. Sure enough, Charlie steps up to the doorway next. He's just as cute as Cooper remembers, it had been maybe a month since they last met up for a sex party at Schlatt's.

"Coopierre!" He greets with a bright smile as he goes in for a hug. He's covered in sweat and if Cooper didn't enjoy his smile so much he'd push the sweaty fuck off.

"Bitch you're drenched!"

Charlie pulls away and swats the air with a dismissive laugh. "You know how it with Ted!"

"I sure the fuck don't-"

As Travis decends the stairs, Charlie walks off towards him, slinging an arm around his shoulders. Just as Cooper shuts the door, the bell rings again.

"Hey." Noah stands with his hands in his bomber jacket and sunglasses blocking his eyes.

"Hey, where's Car-"

Noah shakes his head sternly and brushes past Cooper.

"You guys are roommates where is he?"

"Had him taken out back and shot."

With that, Noah heads off towards Charlie and Travis.

At some point Cooper joins them, but the conversation is short lived as Schlatt and Wilbur bust through the door.

"WHERE IS COOPER?" Wilbur shouts, looking frantic.

Cooper stands, utterly baffled.

Wilbur bounds over to him, Schlatt in tow, and pulls him in for a deep kiss. Their mouths move together, he can feel slight stubble on Wilbur's chin. A tongue licks into his mouth, but all too soon, Wilbur's pulling away.

"Shit, Wil-"

Schlatt grips his head and pulls him into a kiss next, just as deep but he bites Cooper's lips too.

They pull apart and Cooper's left dizzy and horny. "Good to see you too."

"Where's Ted?" Schlatt asks.

"Out back," Cooper says, just noticing the smell of wonderful barbecue wafting in through the house.

Schlatt nods and then bounds off towards the back, Wilbur greets Charlie and heads off to join their group.

It's maybe half an hour later when more people show up, Joko with Liam, Mikey and their new roommate Logan.

Cooper smiles at them, and heads over. He pulls Mikey into a noogie, which earns him indignant squabbling followed by, "Fuck my ass while you're at it."

"Hey dude," Liam greets, and Logan pulls Cooper into a hug.

He can't help but laugh, "It's so good to see you guys."

"Same, you got a sick house. How could we refuse?" Joko smiles.

--

It's a few hours later, the party's in full swing and their house is absolutely packed full of people. Cooper finds himself with Joko, sitting on some cool concrete stairs in the shade as some guy hypes up to jump from his roof to his pool.

"I've missed you, dude," Joko says.

"Yeah?" Cooper smiles at him.

"Yeah. The house is so fucking crazy without you. You like living with Travis?"

"I do... It's been the best few months of my life. How're the boys doing?"

Joko laughs and bumps his shoulder against Cooper's. "They're good. We're down to just one ceramic plate though. I swear to god their hands are made of pizza grease."

"Jesus." Cooper laughs with him, and his eyes travel to Liam and Mikey playing quarters. "You can visit whenever, y'know."

"Yeah," Joko smiles, "I know."

--

Later that night, most have left the party leaving just that group of close friends that arrived first.

Travis has Ted serve everyone dinner, eating at their giant dining table. He and Cooper sit together, and he keeps nervously glancing at Cooper.

"You okay?" Cooper asks him.

Travis nods and reaches for his wine, sipping it instead of making eye contact.

Cooper takes a bite of his burger and has to stifle a moan. "Fucking shit, Ted," he says with his mouth still full. "Alright, I'll call you the goddamn Grill Master. This burger fucked my ass to the moon."

Ted cheers triumphantly, a fist pumped into the air and everything.

Travis clears his throat, and then stands.

"Dude, what's up?" Cooper tries again, but Travis presses on.

He grabs one of Cooper's hands, "Coopie, I love you."

"Uh... yeah, I love you too." The first firework of the night goes off outside. "What are you doing?"

"I've loved you since we first met, and... And I really want to spend the rest of my life with you." He gets down onto one knee, his free hand pulling a small box from his pocket.

The table is hushed. Cooper can't hide his shock.

"Coopie," Travis says, opening the box to reveal a blue metal band, "will you marry me?"