02: short human

I'm sitting at the dining table and eating my breakfast with my brother and mom

I'm sitting at the dining table and eating my breakfast with my brother and mom. We were having pancakes with blueberries and whipped cream. Dad was sleeping upstairs, as he had returned home late last night. So, we let him sleep.

My mind keeps going back to what Lia had said. Like, what does she mean by, I have a competition? Also, what competition? I couldn't even ask her about it because she had already hung up on me. I didn't bother calling her back, since I would be better ti talk in person. I would see her today anyways.

I don't even care, right now. The only that I want to know is that, how did Amelia come to know about this? Was she eavesdropping on this Melissa? Also, what was she trying to say. I'm in confusion. It's better to ask her than wasting my time thinking about this.

"I'm leaving, mom. Come on, Rae, let's go." I tell him as I put my plate in the sink. I'm desperate for answers, so 8 decide to leave early.

"I'm eating. Besides, it's too early." He whines. "Mom, will you make her understand that I'm eating?" I don't think he gets what I'm trying to imply. Not shocking.

"For a guy who is athletic, you're pretty slow." I joked. He just sticks his tongue out at me.

"Rhaegal, sweetie, listen to your sister for once." She tries to persuade him.

He just looks at her as if he's offended. "I jus-- oh my God, fine."he finally gets up at carries his breakfast with him."I asked you to help me out, not defend Rune."

I step outside the house and wait for Rae to come out. Once he does, I hit him on his arm.

"Ow. What was that for?" he asked. "For being a dumbass. You seriously didn't understand what I was trying to imply?"

"Uh...no." he says.

"Okay, whatever. I just wanted to talk to you about something." I tell him.

"Oh, okay, what is it?" he asks. "It better be serious, since I wasn't able to fill my stomach to its fullest because of you."he said, rubbing his belly.

"Whatever. Amelia had called me yesterday and I confronted her about what you said and blah blah blah. Then she told me I have competition with this girl name Melissa. What does she mean by that?" I babbled.

"Hm...it means you have competition with a person named Melissa." he said. Again, I hit him in the arm.

"No shit, sherlock. But why? Also I want to know how Lia found out about this."I tell him.

"Ask her, duh." he stated, in an 'its obvious' tone.

And he's right. I'm thinking way too much these days, I need to stop wasting my time and energy on thinking stuff. We start walking towards school, our personal hell.

We talk stuff on our way and a while later we reach our destination. Me and Rae part ways and act like we don't exist to each other, unless, of course, when we need each other.

I head to my locker, hoping to find Amelia there. And I was right she was there, waiting for me, next to my locker and on her phone. I'm sometimes glad that she stands next to my locker, as I wouldn't remember which one was mine. I would even forget my locker combination at times.

"Hey. What did you mean about what you said yesterday?" I ask her, getting straight to the point.

"Huh? Oh, about Melissa?" she asks me for reassurance.

"Yeah. Who is she and what competition?" I asked. "Oh, well, you know, she likes Jewel and makes it very obvious by how she talks to her." she tells me.

"I don't care. Is that all?" I ask her.

"What? Why not? And yeah, that's all." She asks me, looking taken aback for a second.

"Don't bring up another girl in this."I tell her this and she gives me this ,very wierd look. I don't know what it was.

"Anyway, I'm heading to class. Byeeee." I wave her goodbye and she stands there looking confused.

As I walk towards my class, I bump into her. We walked into each other but it had no affect over me. "Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going." She responds first.

"It's okay. Everything is fine." I tell her , at the same time admiring her. I had this huge, almost creepy, smile on my face, which I didn't try hiding for some reason because, well...I'm dumb.

"Hey, you're Rhaegal's twin sister, right? He talks a lot about you." she asks and tells me simultaneously.

"Really? What does he talk about me?" I ask her. Hopefully nothing embarrassing or I'll kill him.

"Oh, well, he talks about how great you are and that you are a amazing sister and blah blah. I don't why he tells this to me specifically." she says. Thank God. Rae, you're amazing but also stupid. I need to thank him later.

"I told him to invite you to the carnival. I'm bringing my friends. You can bring your's too." Oh why, God. Either way it's great.

"Anyway, gotta go. Bye, Rune." she says.

"Bye!" I tell her as she walks away. Today is the best day of my whole existence. I gotta tell this to Lia and Rae.

"Hey. You're Rune, right?"someone from behind me asks. I turn around and come to face with...uhm, nothing

"Down here." the voice tells me. I look down. Now, I come to see a short person. "Oh, hello there. Who are you? And how do you know me?" I ask the stranger in front of me. Am I that tall or is she this short?

"My name is Melissa. Nice to meet you." she says as she takes my hand to shake it, without my permission. She must be the same Melissa that Lia was talking about and by the looks of it, she's short for me.

"Okay, byee!" I bid her goodbye and speed walk to my class. I can't be late because of her. If it's Jewel then it's fine.

"Hey, wait up. We literally are in the same classes. Well, some of them." Oh hell nah.

"I would appreciate it if you would stop following me." I tell her. "We're going to the same class. Might as well join you." she responded.

"I don't care. I wish you would leave me alone." I state.

"Hm...I'll try." she says. You little--She getting on nerves already. I don't want to hate her, we just met. Wait! Who am I? I literally use my brother to get information about Jewel. I am pretty a stalker.

"Alright, you can come with me for now. But after the class, you leave me. Deal?" I ask her.

"Fine, deal."