08: the scent leads

"Are you and Rowan really not mates?" I ask Adriel, my young-looking great grandfather, as I take a sip of my coffee

"Are you and Rowan really not mates?" I ask Adriel, my young-looking great grandfather, as I take a sip of my coffee. It feels so weird calling him by his first name, like, he's my great grandfather. I know he's young looking and all, but do I have to call him by his first name? But then again, it would be weird to call him grandpops around everyone.

"No, we aren't." Adriel answers me, as he writes something down in his notebook.

"Will you ever tell me how you guys met?" I ask him, growing with anticipation.

He pauses whatever he was writing and stayed still for a while, probably contemplating if he needed to answer my question. "Well it's a long story..." he sighed, already giving up from coming up with an excuse.

"I'm ready to listen, besides I can't even ask anyone. Nobody knows anything about you two." I had literally asked around. I was initially surprised that no one knew about how these two met, it was so strange. Or maybe, they were hiding it from me and Rae. But why? I want to know about it, too.

"Well, long story short, we met. Fell in love. And...yeah." was all he said as a smile crept up on his face, his eyes not leaving the notebook.

"That doesn't answer all the questions I have." I muttered. I'm tired of asking him question, he never completely answers them.

"It would be nice if you stop asking me questions." he said in a stern voice.

We were in the living room. I had woken up to go to the kitchen, I needed to feed Mr. creepy. Surprisingly, I had found Adriel here. He had already been alert that I was coming downstairs and asked me why I was up so early. I would've asked him that, too, but I didn't. I had told him about Creeper and Chubbs. I didn't miss the face he pulled when I mentioned Creeper being a spider, which he quickly tried concealing. That nerve of his! Either way, he had brought some dead insects from somewhere. I don't need to know where he got it from but, I was thankful for his help.

Now, we were sitting together, doing absolutely nothing.

"Hey, what are you doing up so early?" We heard Rowan ask, his voice coming up from the stairway. He then came into view, in his wrinkly clothes, yawning and scratching his stomach.

"Rune here wanted to know how we ended up with each other, even though we aren't mates." Adriel tells him, finally taking his eyes off of his notebook.

Ugh.

"Oh? Did you tell her?" he asked, taking a seat right beside his husband.

Adriel scoffed, "No." he answered, leaning into the other male.

The two then shared a morning kiss, and I have to say one thing: ew. I left the place before it could turn into a full on make-out session.

*

*

*

"When can we go out?" Rae asked for the umpteenth time as he fed chubby with so much care.