11: worrisome

"So, like, your dad is more than a hundred years old but you're

"So, like, your dad is more than a hundred years old but you're. . . nineteen?" Rune asks me. A clear sign of curiosity etched on her little face.

"Uhm, yeah-almost twenty, though." I correct her, my eyes not leaving the ceiling floor. "I know, it sounds weird, but it's true."

We were sprawled on my bed, tucked under the blanket, our legs in tangles. Liry was right beside me, sleeping peacefully as usual. Not even a storm could stop her from sleeping. Our current topic of discussion was my parents, for some reason. Rune wanted to know why I'm much younger than my mom and dad, who were above the age of hundred. It seemed to peak her curiosity.

"Will you ever tell me about them?" she looks at me with hopeful eyes. I sighed.

"You don't have to tell me, if you feel like you don't want to." she says to reassure me.

I have no other choice but to tell her. Besides, I trust her and I want to be open with her.

"Well, I don't how they met. But what I do know is that they met really late. They were obviously mates." I explain to her. "That's why I'm so much younger than them."

"If they're mates, then why is your dad with Diavolo?" she asks me. It's a pretty good question, it's so good that I don't even know the answer to that.

"Aren't mates supposed to love each other and stay together for the rest they're lives?" she asks me innocently.

"I don't know, I have basically have no idea. They left each other when me and my brother were really young." I tell her the truth.

"But he still cared about us, like any father would." I tell her. I look at her for any reaction.

"I heard that the problem was Diavolo. He was the one who started the whole family drama." I tell her.

"Wait, really?" she asked me, feeling surprised. I can understand that feeling. "I thought he was a good guy."

"I'm not actually sure. I've heard my parents argue and I usually hear Diavolo's name." I explain. I hope she understands. Diabolo is great guy, he wouldn't be the source of trouble caused in my family.

"Anyway, then my dad moved in with him. And to make matters worse, my mom was homophobic." I spit out, raising my voice a little. Mom was the problem, that homophobic piece of shit. I seriously don't understand what's so scary about the gays.

Well, now her daughter is in love with another girl. Hope she hates me more.

"Are you mad at any of them?" she asks me gingerly. Her voice was soothing enough for me to calm down.

"Uh, well I don't like my mother. But I completely support my dad." I tell her.

"It sucks, you know. After my dad left she kept me and my brother away from him. She wouldn't let us see him. He used to visit us regularly." I tell her.