Overshadowed

As i kept walking back towards the hideout, i turned around and the 2 guys were still following me so i stopped walking.

"Seriously, Can you both stop?" I said angrily.

"For the 3rd time, We don't want any trouble Rider"

"Ha! You could've fooled me"

"Rider. Listen-!"

Suddenly i heard footsteps coming towards us.
They sounded familiar.
Oh no, this isn't good.

"Flynn? What's going on..?" Stalyan asked confused as she walked over to me.

I signaled for her in a panic to stop talking and walk the other way but she didn't listen.

"Okay. Seriously, what's going on?" she asked again.

"Stalyan" Burnsie said.

"The Stabbies? Flynn, What is going on??"

"We aren't here to bring any harm, Stalyan"

"Oh, really? Because you sure did harm me when you ditched me at a job last year and i got arrested!"

"Woah, woah, woah, wait.. You know them, Stals?"

"Sadly, Yes."

"We just think it's in our best interest if we all worked together as a team. Imagine how much better we'd all do?" Burnsie said.

"Let's take this conversation back to the hideout to talk in private" Stalyan said.

"Woah woah!! Now we're leading them to our safe space?!" I whispered in her ear in a panic as we walked back.

"Let your guard down for once, Rider" she whispered back.

"Let my.. What?! Are you insane?!"

She elbowed me hard in the side to get me to shut up and we kept walking.

We made it back to the inside of the hideout and i made Burnsie and Patchy stand near the opening just incase if they try to steal our space or do any harm.

"Talk before i push you" I said aggressively with my hand on my hip as i stood next to stalyan.

"Flynn!" Stalyan yelled.

"We really think this would be a great opportunity for every single one of us, dont you?"

Well, I guess Burnsie did have a point. I don't even know them, though! I don't even need any partners! Heck, I don't even need to work with Lance or Stalyan!

Well, Stalyans my girlfriend so i do need her actually.

"Hey, what's going on?" Lance said as he walked towards us from the back of the hideout.

"We want to work with you guys" Burnsie said.

"Sweet! Welcome Abo-"

"No!" I shouted, interrupting Lance.

"Flynn!" Stalyan shouted at me.

"Can us 3 please have a word in private?!" i said, shoving Stalyan and Lance into the back of the hideout with me.

"I don't like this, At all" i said as we huddled close.

"Flynn, they don't seem like they'd cause any trouble.."

"Are you joking Lance?! The one has an eyepatch!"

"Rider.. Give them a chance" stals said annoyed.

"Guys, If there's anything i learned these past few years it's that you don't trust guys with eyepatches and the other thing is that you don't trust people who come out of the damn shadows!"

"Enough, Flynn! They're working with us, Okay?!" Stalyan yelled back.

"We don't need them, Stalyan!" i yelled.

Lance backed away and him and the Stabbingtons just stared at Stalyan and I in confusion.

Stalyan put her hand on my back and walked me even further back into the hideout.

"I know what's best for you, Rider" she demanded in a low voice.

"Who said you get to make decisions for the group?!"

"Who said you get to all the time?!"

"Stalyan! This is a huge mistake! They are not working with us! It's bad enough you're dumb actions led them back to the hideout! I singled to you to stay away!"

"I don't need your guidance, Rider! I can make my own decisions!"

"Stalyan!"

"Do you want me to go back to my father and track him right here to kill you? Huh?!"

"I..."

"That's what i thought, Rider"

She turned her back to me and started walking back towards Lance and The Stabbingtons.

"Good news, Boys! You can join us!" she said excited as they all cheered.

I still stayed in the very back of the hideout and a tear fell from my eye.

"No! Don't cry." i said to myself as i wiped the tear off my face.

I walked over to the rest of the group.

"You both are most certainly not living here with us that's for sure" i said angrily.

"That's fine with us" Burnsie said.

"Now leave, please. Your services aren't needed at this time" i said, pointing to the exit.

They nodded and left.

"What is wrong with you?!" I yelled to Stalyan.

"Me?! What is wrong with you?!"

I sighed in defeat.

"What are you even talking about at this point, Stalyan?"

"You need to let your guard down for once, Flynn"

"Thieves don't let their guards down, Stalyan. That's just asking to get killed"

"Just.. grow up. Honestly"

"G- Grow up?! How much more could i grow up?! I'm a teenager having to fend for myself in the wilderness! You wouldn't know how that feels!"

"I do now!"

"No! You don't! You don't know what it's like to grow up unloved with no one looking out for you"

"Uhh.. I'm right over here, Flynn!" Lance yelled from a distance.

"It's.. Its just that.."

"Aww.." Stalyan said as she pinched my cheek, "You're cute when you're angry, Rider"

She grabbed her bag and left the hideout.

"..What?" i said, hurt.

"Ha!" Lance laughed as he walked over to me and put his hand on my shoulder, "Now you're regretting this whole Stalyan thing, huh?"

"Lance.. this just.. isn't the time"

"What?" he asked, confused.

"I just need some space to myself again.. do you mind going out for a few hours?"

"You've got it" he said as he grabbed his bag and then left.

Once i was alone, i sat down in my chair and i sighed.

Maybe he's right.. Maybe this whole Stalyan partnership was a bad idea.

Don't get me wrong, I love dating her.

But.. It's just..

I'm supposed to be the go-to guy.