Chapter 4: Mock conclave

It had been about two weeks since our day off, and everyday after was spent training for the mock conclave that was being held tomorrow. We were given the news the first day back training, and honestly I was kinda excited to see how I would do. This was the first, and probably the only mock conclave we were gonna have.

Before the mock conclave tomorrow, today we were practicing sword fighting. We trained for the whole day and it was now coming towards the evening, but we still weren't done. Me and Cree were partnered together.

We got into our fighting positions for about the 1000th time today. Cree was the one to make the first move to my body and I quickly blocked it with my sword and wasted no time in making a swing at his feet which he quickly blocked. We battled in a quick motion of blocks and swings until Cree managed to hit me with the hilt of his sword on my forehead.

I stumbled back, putting my hand to my head. I blocked out the pain and carried on fighting. Cree jabbed at my stomach, but I swiftly dodged it and executed a quick jab at his back, making him grunt and stumble forward. The boy regained his balance and went for me. We battled each other for a great amount of time without any breaks. The other natblidas had stopped fighting to watch us. Everyone's eyes were on us, including the commander.

Me and Cree blocked and attacked in a quick motion, until Cree lost his rhythm when I hit his shoulder. He wasted no time in blocking my other attacks, but his rhythm was lost and his guard was becoming weaker every time I hit. His expression was a mixture of shock and fear as I sped up my attack. With one last swing I knocked the sword out of his hand and with one last blow, I elbowed him hard in the nose. Black blood exploded from his nose as he fell hard onto the ground, defeated. I pointed my sword at him. He looked up at me shocked.

The whole arena was silent. I could feel multiple pairs of eyes burning into my back.

"That will be all today, natblidas. Return to your dorm." Titus broke the silence and the other nightbloods started to disperse, their eyes trained on me.

I offered my hand to Cree which he took. I pulled him up and gave him a rag to wipe his bloody nose.

"Here, sorry about that" I smiled apologetically.

He smiled. "Thank you. You really fought well there" Cree put the rag up to his nose and wiped the blood away.

We started to walk away from the arena when my name was called.

"Y/N, stay."

I looked around and saw the commander, standing tall with her hands behind her back. I glanced to Cree who gave me a reassuring node before he walked off continuing to wipe his bloody nose.

"You are ready, Y/N. The way you fought today, was like a true commander. You never revealed your next move, it was all just quick reactions from Cree. If you were fighting any of the other nightbloods other than Cree, they would have been down a lot quicker." The Commander spoke in a calm tone.

I looked up at the woman in front of me, I wasn't quite sure what to say.

"I expect to see you do well tomorrow, perhaps win if you beat Cree like you did today." The commander looked me in the eye before sending me off. "You may leave."

"Thank you heda." I bowed my head and walked away.

My stomach was doing flips, she expected me to basically win tomorrow. I was really nervous now, I mean I knew I could win, but in order to do that I needed to beat Cree. Again. Not to mention, one of the others could catch me off guard. I shook my head to clear these thoughts. I was overreacting. I knew I could win, the others were no match for me, only Cree. With my determined self I spent the rest of the evening alone.