Chapter 23: That's a whole lotta food

I shot up from my pillow, breathing heavily. A light layer of sweat formed on my forehead, I put my hands to my face to try and calm myself. I had a dream, that turned into a nightmare. It was about Cree and I, about the happy memories we had together, like when we visited the glowing forest and training together, but it ended with his death, him dying in my arms, the blood dripping everywhere. It was dreams like these that made me realise how much I missed his presence, how much I missed his embrace. Sometimes when I was alone, I felt like he was with me, his spirit looking over me, it made me feel happy, but sad at the same time.

I took a deep breath and pushed the covers off me. To help me feel better, I splashed water over my face from the water bowl on my dresser and the cool liquid eased my flustered face. I closed my eyes and shook my head, I had to get ready for the day. The morning was full of things to do, I had to check up on Ouskejon Kru because of their food shortage and I had to attend to other duties such as the Reaper problem. What fun this would be. But luckily I had the afternoon free unless something else decides to pop up out of nowhere, so I decided I would use it to give Ivory some training. But the most important event today was the feast in the evening. The great hall was being prepared with many long tables for the ambassadors and their families to attend, and Polis was preparing for a celebration with games and performances. It was like ascension day, but we celebrate the day the twelve clans were united.

I got dressed and braided my hair into many small braids, then I left my room and walked a few doors down to Ivory's chamber. I knocked on the door and awaited a reply.

"Enter!" I heard her voice shout.

I pushed the doors open and strolled in, "you ready?"

My second trotted over to me while attaching her belt to her waist, "yeah, I'm all good."

I smirked, "come on then, let's get some breakfast."

***

We sat at my table picking at our food. I once again was daydreaming about my dream last night while I fiddled with my bacon with my fork. Ivory seemed to notice my still figure and decide to break the silence between us.

"You okay, Y/N?"

Her voice broke me out of my trance, "yeah, sorry, I was just thinking."

"What about?"

I looked up to my second, "nothing, just commander stuff." My voice contained a slight sadness which was too hard to hide.

Ivory noticed this and looked to me with concerned eyes, "your thinking about Cree, aren't you?"

The mention of his name made my eyes turn glossy, "yes, I had a dream about him, about the memories we had together, all the way up till his death," I managed to speak without my voice cracking.

Ivory took my hand and gave me a small smile, "when my parents died, I had dreams about them too, some good, some bad. But, what I learnt from them is to move on. Yes he may be gone, but you fight and rule in his name, you honour his life, just as I honour my parents life. As you do this, the nightmares will fade as you get stronger." My second spoke in wisdom and courage and this made me feel better.

I smiled, "you know, in all the stupid things you do, there are moments where you act so wise that I think your a completely different person."

Ivory rolled her eyes, "why do I even put up with you?"

I chuckled, "thanks Ivory, you made me feel better."

"That's what I'm here for," she shrugged her shoulders.