Chapter 18: The conclave part 1

"Osir koma op daun bilaik slip daun kom bleirona, ba mafta op won bilaik hef em op moubeda." (We honour those who fall by the sword, but follow the one who wields it best). Titus spoke loudly to the crowd around us, gathered here to watch the conclave.

The clans that had a natblida fighting from their clan all watched on, shouting words of good luck. All of us novitiates stood in a line facing Titus outside the arena, waiting to begin the fight. I held my head high as a sign of strength as Titus spoke, I was ready.

"Yo na jomp in," (you may begin). Titus announced.

The gate opened and we all walked in and headed to our starting places within the streets of Polis. I stood at my starting point, the same place in the mock conclave, but this time it was real. I looked to my clan symbol on the banner next to me, it is time to make Trikru proud. My eyes drifted forward and I waited for the horn to blow that would signal the start of the conclave. In these last few moments of peace, all I could hear was my heartbeat until the deep sound of the horn filled my ears. I unsheathed both my swords and spun them in my hands and then I ran into the streets.

I needed to make my way to the stone building where Cree would be, and I had to fast. The conclave has just begun, but I could already hear the sound of swords clashing so I took care as I jogged towards my destination. The sound of fighting got louder as I approached a corner, I peeked around to see Astrid and Wren fighting fiercely. While they were deep in battle, I quickly sprinted by the street and looked behind me to make sure no one was following. Once all clear, I continued to jog down the streets until my eyes were blessed with an unharmed Cree peeking down the gap that would lead him to safety.

"Cree!" I whisper-shouted.

He looked from his escape route and met my eyes as I ran to him, "hey, you fought yet?" He asked.

"No, I wanted to see you off before I do anything," I replied.

Cree smiled, "okay, but remember when you fight them, they will want to kill you, so do not hesitate not even for a second. You have to win this," Cree put both his hands on my shoulders as he lectured me. "They are no longer your family, remember that. But you honour them, just like ever warrior that falls. Fight like a true commander."

I took in his final words and looked into his hazel eyes, "yes, I will fight with honour, like a true commander," I spoke bravely.

The boy smiled, "I know you can win this, and when you do, you will unite the twelve clans into a coalition and bring peace to the land. And you will teach and train the new natblidas in what you believe in, so your legacy can continue. You will be the best Heda that has ever ascended," Cree spoke proudly.

"I will and thank you." I looked around me, "you must go, in case scouts come this way."

Cree looked back at his escape route and then back at me, he smiled the warmest smile, then he said something that had been in the air for a while, "I love you."

My heart skipped a beat and my stomach turned to butterflies, then I smiled, "I love you too," I confessed in a warm voice.

We stared into each other eyes and smiled and we stayed like this for a while, spending our last moments in peace and happiness. I dropped both my swords and we embraced each other in a warm hug, I felt my eyes fill with tears, this may be the last time I see Cree for a while, but I would never forget the boy who made my life better. We pulled away and Cree gave one last warm smile and so did I.

"Goodbye Cree," I spoke.

"Goodbye, Y/N-," My stomach dropped and my expression turned to horror as my eyes watched the sight in front of me. A dagger pierced Cree's neck. His smile turned to a shocked expression and he tried to speak but he fell down against the stone wall.