Chapter 16: Everything changes

I sat on a chair in the corner of the dimly lit room, fiddling with my dagger in my hand. Outside, I could hear the battle cries and dying screams of warriors outside. I would be lying if I wasn't concerned. Not only were our warriors dying, innocent people were too. It made me angry.

I sighed and stood up impatiently, "I can't stand this anymore."

Wren looked up from his feet, "there is nothing we can do," he spoke.

I sighed, I knew he was speaking the truth, but I couldn't stand here hiding while innocent people were dying outside, "I'm going back out there, I can't let innocent people die," I grabbed my sword and dagger.

"No offence but, your life is more important than the people outside," Astrid spoke up.

I turned around and looked her straight in her eyes, "no life is more important than any other," my voice fell stern and authoritative.

The girl looked at me, taking in my words, but then she sat back on the ground not speaking to anyone.

Cree put a hand on my shoulder, "if you want me to, I'll stay here and protect them," he whispered.

I looked to the other novitiates and Ivory then I nodded, "okay."

Cree gave me a stern nod then stood guard by the door.

"Y/N, be careful," Ivory looked at with with concerned eyes. I could tell she didn't want me to go, but she also knew I was too stubborn to change my mind.

I gave her a reassuring smile, "you know me, I'll be fine."

She smiled back.

I opened the door and once again I was in the streets. As I walked down the street, bodies lay everywhere and blood stained the ground red. But it wasn't just warriors who lay dead, innocent villagers joined the dead too. I had to stop this. I drew my sword from it's sheath and snuck down the streets.

Through the distant battle cries, I heard screams close by. Swiftly, I made my way to them. They were coming from an alleyway next to the tower. The screams grew louder as I neared and when I reached the alleyway I peeked from around the corner and saw two Azgeda warriors taunting two girls around my age. They were scaring them by screaming in their faces and threatening them with their weapons. I felt a pinch of anger tug at my heart, I couldn't let this happen.

I snuck out from behind the corner and in to the sight of the girls. I put my finger to my mouth to let them know I was here to help and for them to be quiet. They looked to me for a split second but returned their terrified gaze back to the two men in front of them to not raise suspicion. I took a deep breath and unsheathed my dagger, and I moved my feet into a silent run towards my targets and I threw my dagger straight in the back of the head of one of the men. His laughter stopped and he collapsed to the floor dead. The other man looked to his fallen warrior then behind him, but before he could even blink I slit his throat with my sword. He chocked and gargled on his own blood and he fell to the ground. I wiped some blood from my vision and retrieved my dagger from the dead Azgeda warrior. Then I looked to the two girls, they were Trikru like me.

I gave a friendly smile, "don't worry, they won't be bothering you anymore. If you follow me I can take you somewhere safe."

The two girls looked to each other, looking sceptical which was understandable. But a girl with red hair stood up and smiled.

"Thank you for saving us. We thought we would never escape," the girl thanked me.

The other girl with black hair stood up too, "yeah, thank you," she spoke with uncertainty.