Chapter 12: Death by 1000 cuts

I woke up to the sun rays hitting my eyes. The sounds of the streets below me filled my ears and reminded me of how much I missed it while I was in my little situation in Azgeda. I was really glad to be back. I sat up in my bed and looked around the dorm. Cree was still fast asleep in his bed and all the other beds were unoccupied. Then I remembered heda gave us this day to rest from our injuries and the long trek from Azgeda. All the others must be training.

I stretched my sore limbs and got out of bed. A jolt of pain from my injured arm made me look at the slightly bloody bandage. Carefully, I unrolled the fabric around my arm and inspected the gash. It looked better and felt better today. Plus, it would leave an awesome scar.

After waking up, I got dressed into my natblida uniform which was basically just a shirt, trousers and armour. Then I looked to the boy sleeping opposite me. I smiled mischievously as I thought of an idea to wake him up. I grabbed one of my boots and chucked it at Cree. It hit him in the head, causing him to jolt awake and fall out of his bed.

"Hahaha, good morning," I laughed.

Cree groaned, "ow, did you throw your boot at me?!" Cree held up the leather boot and looked to me.

I nodded, "how else was I gonna wake you up?"

Cree got up of the wooden floor, boot in hand. "Well I guess you won't mind if I throw it out the window then?"

My eyes went wide, "no, Cree! Don't!"

Cree hot footed it to the window with me close behind and he chucked it out of the window of the tower.

"CREE!" I shouted as I watched my boot fall down the tower and land on the ground below.

Cree laughed, "that will teach you not to throw boots at me!"

I shoved Cree into an unoccupied bed, "these are my only pair of boots!"

"Well, let's go and get them then," Cree walked back to his bed and got dressed.

I slipped on my one boot onto my foot and hoped my other boot was still there when I got down into the streets, because that would be an awkward situation to tell Titus.

We walked out of the lift onto the first floor and headed to the entrance of the tower. I was getting a few stares from the guards as my one boot on one foot was a bit strange to see, and it was a little uncomfortable. But we finally made it to the outside and my leather boot was still on the ground. I hopped to it and wiped some dirt off of it before slipping it onto my other foot.

"Good as new!" Cree exclaimed.

I glared at him, "if it was gone, you would have been getting me a new pair!"

"Oh, whatever," he laughed. "What should we do today?"

I thought about the many things we could do on our day off like, looking a stalls, or riding horses, but I wanted to see the girl who had been my friend for years, Ivory. "Come on, let's go and see Ivory, we haven't seen her in a while."

Cree nodded, "okay, let's go."

We weaved through the people going about their daily lives until we reached the brunette girl selling her popular jewellery at her stall. When she saw us her face lit up with happiness.

"Y/N! CREE!" She shouted with happiness and embraced us in a big bear hug.

"Wow, Ivory, careful I have to breathe you know," Cree mumbled through the hug.

"It's good to see you Ivory," I hugged her tight back.

The brunette let go and looked us both over, "damn, you two look pretty beat up, are you okay?" She looked over the multiple cuts and bruises over our faces.