Chapter 14: Birthday

"Morning birthday boy," I smiled, and sat down at the table for breakfast.

Cree picked at his eggs, "thanks, how are you this morning?"

I shrugged, "feel the same as ever." I looked down at the bacon on my plate, realising that I wasn't really that hungry. I pushed the plate away and smiled, "hey, training should finish around midday. Me and Ivory have been working on a surprise, so give us two hours after training, then come to Ivory's tent. Okay?"

Cree gave me a suspicious look, "hmmmm, okay, I'll look forward to it. Better be good though."

I gave a toothy smile, "it will."

We returned our pots to the kitchens and we headed to training for the morning.

Training today was all about using our body as a weapon, in times when we didn't have our swords or spears. We practised punches, kicks and blocks and later on, incorporated those moves when fighting with our blades.

On one practice when we were brining in kicks with our sword play, I did one particularly powerful side kick to Wren's nose, resulting in it broken.

But at the end of training, we all had some kind of bruise or cut on us to deal with from a well placed kick or punch.

After Titus had sent us off from training, Cree and I talked amongst ourselves until we reached the dorm.

I took my armour off and changed into a clean shirt and got what I needed to go down to see Ivory, including my new dagger I won in the tournament a few days ago.

Once I was ready, I walked to the door then stopped and looked over to Cree, "in two hours, meet at Ivory's tent."

Cree looked over the book he was reading, "yeah, see you later," he smiled and continued reading.

I smirked before heading out the dorm and hurrying to Ivory.

***

I pushed my way through the many people on the streets until I spotted Ivory at her stall selling her popular jewellery.

"Ivory!" I shouted through the sounds of the streets.

She looked in my direction when she heard her name and smiled when she saw me, "what took you so long?" She questioned, serving her last customer.

I sighed, "sorry, Titus can really ramble on about commander things."

Ivory laughed, "like what?"

"Things like, "one of you will be the future commander, so train hard. And remember you are all worthy of your nightblood." I mimicked the deep voice of Titus and tried to look as miserable as possible. "Things like that."

Ivory chuckled, "sounds great. Let me pack up and we will go shopping so you can pick a present for Cree."

I smiled and nodded.

After Ivory had packed her stall away, we went searching for a present for Cree. Ivory had already made a present for him, she crafted a beautiful bracelet made out of deer antler, with the sacred symbol and the commanders headpiece carved into it. But with me being busy with training and lessons, I hadn't had a lot of time, so today I needed to pick something out.

"What are you thinking of getting him?" Ivory asked.

I pondered for a few seconds, I really didn't know, "what ever catches my eye that I think he will like."

Ivory smirked, "well, I'm sure you will find something for him in Polis."

We spent a good half hour looking at various different stalls that sold things like clothes, weapons, and little ornaments, but nothing caught my eye. Ivory and I stood under a little shelter as it began to rain and wanted to wait it out.