Chapter 10: Escape part 1

"Come on, keep going!" I panted while supporting Cree.

The sound of the battle was becoming fainter as we got away through the forest.

"Ow, I can't walk much further!" Cree groaned through the pain of his injured calf.

I looked down at his leg, the arrow stuck out and his inky black blood stained his trousers. Worried, I looked around the winter forest for some sort of salvation. My eyes lit up when I spotted a small cave through the trees.

"Come on Cree, just a little further to that cave. Then we can look at your leg and rest," I heaved his weight onto my shoulders and continued walking to the cave.

Gently, I helped Cree sit down against the cave wall. "You're going to have to lie down on your stomach so I can tend to your leg."

Cree painfully shuffled onto his stomach, "on a scale of one to ten, how bad is it?" He questioned, baring his teeth at the pain.

I teared his trouser leg around the wound. It was still bleeding, but it wasn't infected just yet. "Hmmmmm, a solid five. It's not that bad, it's still bleeding and not infected. But if we don't do anything soon, it will get infected."

"What are we going to do?" Cree questioned.

I pondered for a few seconds, thinking of what I could do until I came up with my solution, "You stay here and rest up, I'll gather some wood and make a fire for you while I'm gone."

Cree looked over his shoulder at me, "while I'm gone?"

I sighed, "you're not going to like it, but I'm going to go back to the battle field to salvage some stuff."

Cree furrowed his eyebrows, "Y/N, we are still in Azgeda, it's too-,"

"I'll be fine, worry about yourself."

"But-."

"No buts! I will be fine," I reassured the boy.

He sighed, "fine."

"Now, before we go, there is one more thing to do." I looked down at the arrow in Cree's calf.

"What-OW!" Cree cried out.

I pulled the arrow from his leg and licked the tip, "good, no poison." I spat the metallic taste from my mouth.

Cree gave me an annoyed glare, "you couldn't have warned me!?"

"No, it's better that way," I gave him a smile.

He rolled his eyes.

I tore a piece of fabric from my shirt, and tied it around the wound to stop the bleeding. It wasn't the cleanest fabric, but it was the best I had.

"Right, I'll be back in five minutes with wood."

***

After traipsing around the forest looking for wood, I returned to the cave and created the fire. I created sparks with stones and blew gently at the orange particles, until it was a roaring blaze of orange.

I stood up and headed to the entrance of the cave, "if I'm not back in an hour, I'm probably dead," I smiled at Cree.

"Please don't die," he spoke.

"I'll try my best. See you later.....hopefully," I left the cave and walked back to where the battle began.

My feet treaded carefully on the forest floor. I avoided twigs and fallen leaves to be careful not to make noise. I remembered our training in stealth, and I was glad that I listened because it definitely is useful sneaking through Azgeda. I peaked from behind a tree, and I saw the remains of the battle. I cautiously emerged from the cover of the trees and scanned the area. So many bodies littered the ground, arrows and spears pierced in their flesh. Some warriors had deep gashes on their chests and stomachs, oozing blood. The snow was stained red, many had died here today.