Chapter 11: Escape part 2

"Come on sleeping beauty, get up," I nudged Cree with my foot.

"Errrrr," Cree groaned. "That was the most uncomfortable night sleep I have ever had, my back is gone," Cree stretched and multiple cracks were heard.

I gathered up my stuff, "yeah, it wasn't pleasant." I gave Cree the dagger, "here you have this."

"Thanks, now let's go," we left the cave and started on our way back to Polis.

As we hiked along the forest floor, I breathed in the crisp, cold air. The forests of Azgeda were truly beautiful. The snow on the trees mixed beautifully with the orange sunrise. The small cliffs that surrounded us were decorated with moss and vines. It made me feel like I was in some kind of magical land.

I twirled around, "this is amazing!"

Cree chuckled, "thought you would like this."

I ran my hand along the smooth rock of the cliff until we came out of the little ravine into open forest.

"Hey, what do you think will happen to Azgeda? Heda won't be happy with them," Cree interrupted.

I sighed, "she will make an example of them, maybe execute a few warriors?"

"Do you think she will kill queen Nia?" Cree asked.

I kicked the snow below my feet before answering, "I don't know."

"I guess we will have to find out." Cree jumped onto a rock.

I looked to him, "what are you doing?"

He smiled, "jumping." Cree leaped onto another rock and winced, "Ow, no scratch that, my leg hurts," he jumped back next to me.

I rolled my eyes, "idiot."

"Shut up, I was testing my leg out," he pushed me.

"Please don't injure yourself even more, there is only one med kit!" I tapped the bag on my belt.

"Okay, okay," Cree threw his hands up in the air, "I'll stay on the ground."

I smirked, "good, now come on. If we want to get back home before dark, we're going to have to pick up the pace."

We started to walk as fast as Cree could handle with his injury.

***

The snow started to disappear from the trees, and the temperature started to get considerably warmer. We were near the Azgeda boarder, and once we crossed that we would be back in Trikru land and one step closer to Polis.

I kneeled down by the river and took a drink, "we are close to Trikru lands."

Cree wiped the water from his mouth, "good, I'm sick of walking."

It was now mid afternoon, and we had been walking since dawn, and even I was getting sick of travelling.

"Can't wait to get back to my warm bed," Cree groaned.

"Same, sleeping on the stone floor for three nights messes up your back," I laughed.

"Yeah, it's-."

"Shhhhh," I crouched down to the ground.

"What?" Cree said, concerned.

"You hear that?" I strained my ears.

Voices came from the left of us. I could make out they were speaking Trigedasleng, so they weren't mountain men, but they could be Azgeda.

"Come on," I dragged Cree to the nearest tree.