Eight

Alain sighed as he looked at his watch. Roman was late for their date which wasn't normal for the man, but as of recent it's been happening a lot.

Alain didn't want to complain or anything since he knew Roman always tried to finish up his work so that the two could see each other, but he did have to admit that he was feeling a little more upset today than usual.

And that's because today was his birthday.

Roman also has yet to tell him happy birthday, which is another thing adding to his frustrations. There was no way Roman could have forgotten, it was just unlike him.

When hearing footsteps approaching him, Alain turned his head and saw Roman walking over to him. Despite his previous frustrations with the older man, Alain simply gave a smile.

"About time. I was starting to think you stood me up" Alain said and Roman frowned.

"Sorry, I meant to send a text before I left the house but some...problems distracted me" Roman said and Alain raised an eyebrow but let it go as he grabbed Roman's hand.

"Don't you feel like you're forgetting something?" Alain mused as the two walked together. Roman gave a short hum before shrugging.

"No, can't really say I do" He said as he averted his eyes.

How could Roman ever forget such a day? He was well aware of what today was, but he didn't want to let Alain know that. If he had looked at Alain while saying that, surely he would have given his joke away.

Alain frowned but didn't say anything as the two continued to walk, not really sure of where they were going. It was a date yes, but with no exact destination in mind.

"Come on, Roman. You can't be serious" Alain said after a while. He was sulking and Roman knew it but the man said nothing as he feigned ignorance.

"I'm always serious" Roman said and Alain rolled his eyes.

"You really don't know what today is?" Alain questioned. Roman couldn't help the amused twitch of his lips and now Alain was sure that Roman was just messing with him.

Seeing that his cover had been blown, Roman let the grin he was holding back blossom as he let out a couple of laughs as well.

"You're so mean" Alain said and nudged Roman's shoulder as a means of getting back at him.

The two had by now wandered over to a bench that was in an empty park.

"Mm, I'm sorry. I just felt in a teasing mood today" Roman said as he gave Alain a chaste peck on the lips as an apology.

"Nu-uh. That doesn't make up for it" Alain said. Roman gave a small smile before taking a small box out of his pocket and holding it out to Alain.

"Well, hopefully this will" he said and Alain eyed the box curiously.

"What is this...?" Alain trailed off as he looked between the box and Roman.

"It's your birthday present" Roman said and just like that, Alain gave an excited grin as he took the gift from Roman.

Alain's eyes widened when he opened the small box and saw two silver rings sitting in it. He looked back over to Roman who was now wearing a small smile.

"I was late today because it had fallen out of my pocket and Kade nearly had a heart attack thinking I was going to ask you to marry me" Roman explained with a laugh at the end.

"You're not...?" Roman blushed when hearing the words and reached over to flick Alain's forehead.

"It's too early for that, don't you think?" Roman said as he watched Alain take the rings out of the box.

"Yeah, I guess so. Besides, we still have a long time ahead of us before worrying about things like that" Alain said as he slipped one of the rings on Roman's finger and Roman did the same to him.

Alain took a second to gaze at the rings down on their fingers. He liked it because it was as if proof of their bond was always with him and he was very happy about that.

As the two sat on the bench in the empty park, nothing could ruin the warm atmosphere that rested around the two as they basked in each other's presence.

"You know...you're still forgetting something" Alain said as he threw a pout Roman's way. It was just then that a look of realization dawned on Roman's face before he gave an apologetic smile.

"Ah, sorry. Happy birthday" Roman said and Alain gave a hum of satisfaction before resting his head on Roman's shoulder.

"Thank you"