Chapter 17

The beach was before me, the sounds of waves crashing against the rocks on the shore shook through the air and the smell of salt tickled my face

The beach was before me, the sounds of waves crashing against the rocks on the shore shook through the air and the smell of salt tickled my face. Johnathan, his hand still in mine, stood next to me as we looked over the ocean. I hadn't seen the ocean since I'd moved to West Acres and I hadn't realized how much I'd missed it. The lake that was slowly freezing in my backyard was nothing compared to the roaring of the wind on the beach or the feel of sand in my toes.

"As much as normal humans push premonitions of their future and memories of their past on to you, Eloise, you can push them back."

I looked up at my father's face. He looked peaceful...and a little sad. The beach and the ocean both looked so real, but something felt slightly off. The sand under my shoes was too soft, the sky too blue, and the ocean too calm. Voices seemed to echo inside the memory, indistinct but somewhere nearby. This was a vision he'd pushed into my head. If he hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known. There was a voice and it was growing louder but was still incoherent- like it was underwater.

"Like emotions?" I asked, thinking of the times when I'd pressed happiness into Tucker or Ben. My father nodded. "I can push images in to a human mind like I can with supernatural minds?"

"They have to be memories," he added nodding, his eyes closing, "strong ones."

He seemed to take in a deep breath of salt water air, letting the air run through him as if it were a drug.

The question came before I could stop it. "What memory is this?"

The vision of the beach was ripped sharply from my mind, a headache quickly followed as my eyes attempted to adjust to my new surroundings once again. My father had taken his hand away and turned around sharply.

"I-I'm sorry," I stuttered, "I didn't mean to pry. I was just curious is all."

I heard Johnathan sigh, but his face was still turned away from me. He was angry, I could tell, but I didn't know if he was angry with me or something else.

"One day. I'll tell you, but not today."

I nodded, grateful that he wasn't going to shut me out. I still had so many questions and I couldn't bear it if he turned me away without answering any more of them. Quickly, I thought of a way to change the subject.

"You could tell me how to stop the nightmares."

Johnathan turned around to face me once again, his face considerably lighter. My previous question about the memory was forgotten, but I let it stay in the back of my head. My father had lots of things to hide, but a memory at the beach didn't seem like one. He would tell me one day, that much I knew.

He pulled an object out of his back pocket. It looked to be an old compass. The face of the compass was clear glass while the rest was tarnished gold. He passed the object to me, noting the confusion on my face.