Chapter 20

"First," Johnathan began, "you might want to call your boyfriend and tell him you won't be making it

"First," Johnathan began, "you might want to call your boyfriend and tell him you won't be making it."

I eyed him suspiciously, wondering how he knew that I was going to see Tucker. If I asked him, however, I knew that he wouldn't give me a straight answer and I couldn't take any more bullshit answers. Instead, I called Tucker.

As the dial tone rang, I looked up at my father.

"He's not my boyfriend," I grumbled before Tucker clicked on.

"Lou? Are you on your way?"

My heart picked up a little at the sound of his voice. He was definitely not going to be happy that I was rescheduling. I knew he needed my help, but I was no use to anybody if I couldn't control my abilities.

I turned away from my father, holding the phone closer to my ear and walking away so he couldn't overhear.

"About that..." I began.

"Is everything okay?" He sounded concerned and I desperately wanted to tell him no, everything was most definitely not okay.

Instead, I swallowed the words. "I'm not feeling well. I can come by sometime after school this week."

He was quiet for a moment and I knew he was considering what I'd said. My skin felt like it was on fire, my throat was closing up, and darkness was clouding my vision. It wasn't a complete lie- I felt powerful and alight but it was not a good thing.

I wasn't very convincing in lying to him and I knew a part of him could tell that I wasn't telling the whole truth. His debate, however, was to decide if it was easier for him to ignore it or confront me.

"I'm sorry to hear that," he murmured, choosing the former option, "Monday, then?"

After we hung up, I turned back to my father who was smiling a little bit. I wondered if the discord he sensed between Tucker and I pleased him. He didn't like werewolves, obviously, and I bet he wasn't a huge fan of his daughter being tethered to one.

"You can see it?" I asked Johnathan, "The darkness around me, I mean. You can see it?"

He nodded.

"It's because I jumped, isn't it?"

This time, he smiled a little. "The jump gave you the extra abilities, yes. But the darkness is all your own."

His words shocked me. I had thought that the darkness came with the abilities, but it seemed I was wrong. It had always been inside of me and, perhaps, I'd unleashed it the moment I jumped.

"Is it- is it because I killed Owein?"

Johnathan's face softened as my voice wobbled. I'd done my best to forget the man that I'd ended, but his cold eyes still burned into the back of eyelids. I heard his voice when my mom cried. I saw him in my dreams. I was the one who was keeping him alive.