Chapter 35

That night, there were no nightmares because I didn't sleep

That night, there were no nightmares because I didn't sleep. There was nothing that could get my mind off of Ben or what I'd learned from Mara about the things that had been done to her father.

Johnathan had whispered to him, I was sure of it. Delia's memories were gone because of him and now my best friend had also disappeared. Each of the Joys was frantic. Tucker's usual silent strength was wavering, and his brothers were noticing.

After my 'interrogation' of the hunter, Tucker and a few of the pack members went to the location he'd told us about, but I knew they wouldn't find anything. A fact that still didn't help the disappointment when Tucker came back empty-handed and devastated.

It was my fault that Ben was taken and I was ashamed of it. I'd let my father into my life because I wasn't strong enough on my own. I wasn't able to handle the consequences of what I'd done and now the Joys were paying for it.

That night, I called my father again. And, to my surprise, he answered.

"Let me guess," he began, "you're calling to threaten me. Go ahead, kid. You can certainly try."

"I'm getting pretty good at it, you might want to rethink that request."

He sighed on the other line and I wished I could punch whatever smug look he had off of his face through my cellphone. His next words surprised me. His voice did something strange to me. He had been the only source of comfort after I'd killed Owein, and now? I wasn't sure what to feel.

"I only ever wanted you to trust me, Eloise," his voice was genuine, "I know you can't understand what I'm doing, but I want you on my side. I want you to make the right choice."

I shook my head, scoffing. All I had wanted was to trust him, but he'd done so much wrong. He still wanted something from me, I just didn't know what.

"Give Ben back," I demanded, "What do you want from me? What do I have to do to get him back?"

Because that's what he wanted, wasn't it? Everything he did was calculated in a way that made me play right into his hands. And to what end? I didn't know.

"Simple," he said, "meet with me again-"

"Fine."

"-and bring your brother."

At that, I paused. Harry hadn't met our father yet, he'd only known what I and the others had told him. My brother wasn't apart of this world- at least, he didn't have to be and I'd wanted to keep him out of it as much as possible, but it seems that that would end tonight. Neither I nor my father could do much to Harry with our abilities, but it had to be his choice.

"You'll come alone?" I asked.

"Bring the wolves and the deal is off. Just me. Just us."

I didn't believe him, I had no trust in him left anymore. But I needed Ben and I would've agreed to almost anything. He gave me the address to meet him and it was familiar. Convincing my brother was easy, and perhaps 'convincing' was not even the right word to use. Harry was adamant that he would do anything to get Ben back.