Chapter 23

Zhan stood at the edge of the empty rooftop, as he stared at a distance, at an unknown beauty. The sun shone his rays on him, while the breeze touched his smooth skin, ruffling his hair gently.

Zhan took a deep breath as he was very tired because of the train of thoughts running through his brain which seemed to be endless.

'What am I supposed to do now? I can't see Yibo in pain because of me. I... I can never imagine my life without him... And I'll never spare anyone who tries to hurt him... But... If the only way  to assure his safety and happiness is for me to die... Then I'm ready to sacrifice my everything for him... Because my happiness only lies in his... And it's better to die and make sure that he's safe and sound rather than living a life which lacks my soul. '
Zhan had a determined look on his face.

'But... Why are we enveloped in a fate like this? What great sin did we commit? Just why... Why can't I love him... Why can't I let him love me... Why? '
Zhan thought as teared blurred his vision.

'You, who's playing with us! I dare you to show up in front of me. Don't be a coward and play behind our backs! Man up, and come to me face-to-face. '
A rage burned inside Zhan and that was when the bright sky was suddenly engulfed by the thick black clouds and a harsh wind blew past Zhan which made him stagger and pushed him to the very edge of the balcony.

Zhan quickly composed his posture and tried regaining his balance, but the force of the wind was very strong that it kept pushing him backwards.

Zhan turned his head and noticed that if he takes even a single step back, he'll fall off the rooftop. Zhan tried his best not to move and stuck his legs to the floor, but nothing seemed to help.

Zhan shut his eyes and used all his energy to stand still, but the strong wind pushed him hard. Zhan knew that he can't withstand this any longer and prepared himself for the fall. The only thing that his mind could think as of the moment was... Yibo's smiling face.

Zhan gave one small smile before loosening his body and falling off. He expected to be flying in the air soon... But... Instead of getting pushed further backward, he felt himself being pulled forward and then getting wrapped in a warm embrace.

"Zhan..... " Yes, it was him.

"Yibo...? " Zhan whispered as he opened his eyes and lifted his head to look at his man, who's holding him tight in his embrace.

"Zhan, are you alright? " Yibo asked in a worried tone as he cupped Zhan's face and peppered it with kisses.

"Yibo... " Zhan held Yibo's hands which were cupping his face.
"I'm... I'm fine... "
Zhan said as he hugged Yibo tight.
Tears rolled down his cheeks as he nuzzled his face in the crook of Yibo's neck.

Yibo hugged him tight and patted his back using one hand while his other hand gently caressed the back of Zhan's head.

"Why... Why did... you come? " Zhan asked in between his sobs.

"No one can separate me from you, Zhan. Not even death. I'll always be there next to you, no matter how hard the situation is or how hard you push me away. I'll always be there next to you, Zhan. Always. Remember the promise that I had made to you. " Yibo said.

Zhan broke the hug and looked at Yibo's face.

"Take me home. " Zhan said and Yibo nodded.

They soon left the campus, their hands intertwined.

Neither of them spoke. Zhan rested his head on Yibo's shoulder when they sat in the bus. He stayed like that for the rest of their journey. They got off the bus and walked towards Zhan's house, in silence.