Chapter 28

Jun stood by the window of the huge hall, his mind still wandering around that boy who made his heart race. The full moon shone brightly and the cold breeze blew across his face, ruffling his soft hair. Jun took a deep breath to calm himself down, but nothing seemed to work.

'Even though I knew it was wrong, why did I still choose that path? Who am I to decide the fate of a person? I'm no one... But, why can't I accept that fate of his? Why do I find it unfair? Why do I feel a piercing pain in my heart when I imagine him being dead? Why? Who is he to me? ' Jun thought looking at the night sky adorned with beautiful shining stars.

The first thing those shining stars reminded him of was those shining almond eyes of Xian. The bright full moon resembled Xian's beautiful face and that lonely star below the moon, looked like that cute little mole under Xian's lips. A small smile arose on Jun's lips as Xian's beautiful picture replayed in his mind.

"What? Is Jun smiling? " Jun was brought back to reality by Yeo's voice.
Jun's smile soon disappeared and his expressionless face reappeared.

"Wen Chao and Wen Zhului took your job. " Yeo informed.

Jun felt a bit anxious all of a sudden. He knew he can neither interfere nor disobey the orders of the God Of Death, but, the fact that Xian's life was in danger made Jun feel uncomfortable for an unknown reason.

"Jun, why do you look soo agitated? " Yeo asked.

"It's nothing. " Jun lied.

"You want to save him, don't you? " Yeo asked.

Jun looked at his face with his widened eyes.

"You can't lie to me, Jun. It's the first time I saw that genuine smile on your face after four centuries. And... How does it feel to have a racing heart, Jun? " Yeo asked.

Jun looked at Yeo and gave him a small smile.

"He... Makes me feel alive... I totally forget the fact that I'm a reaper when I'm next to him. Even though I have met him just twice, I still get that very familiar and comforting vibe when I'm with him. He... He makes me want to become... a human... " Jun said in a low voice.

Yeo stayed silent as he understood how Jun was actually feeling.

A grim reaper whose heart never beat for centuries, suddenly started racing. A grim reaper who didn't know what it was to get hurt or feel pain, started crying when his eyes fell on that boy's face for the first time. A grim reaper who feared none was afraid for the first time. He was scared of losing that boy, whom he don't even know... Or rather, whom he don't remember. A grim reaper who wanted to get rid of his job and enter salvation or have a rebirth now wanted to stay and protect that one boy, who's bringing so many drastic changes in him.

"What will you do now? " Yeo asked.

"I... Don't know... I can't defy his orders. " Jun said.

"They would have left by now... I think... They'll bring him here in a few minutes... " Yeo said.

Jun just stayed silent. He closed his eyes, and Xian's face appeared in front of him. Jun's heart clenched. His eyes teared up. But... He felt helpless.

"Jun... " Yeo called him when he noticed a tear escape Jun's eyes.

Jun stayed still. He neither spoke nor did he open his eyes.

'No... I shouldn't cross my limits. I'm the master of reapers and I... I cannot set a bad example for my juniors... I can't... defy the orders of Yama... No, Jun... You can't do that... ' Jun tried to convince himself.