Tangled In The Great Escape

^^this song I put in is used later in the chapter so listen to it if u don't know what it is (it's terrible things by mayday parade) yeah the lyrics in the video are kinda off sometimes but oh well (I'm sorry if u cry bc I did too ok)

I just realized that this story started out around the beginning of December but I never had Christmas in this and the weather is kinda off bc no snow?? Oh well haha but merry (late) Christmas guys!

-----------------------------------------

"I know you're tortured within,
And your eyes look hungry again

But I'll never wander, my friend

I let you down,

And I started to run,

Never meant to be your pain.

Oh my god, what have I become?"

~ Tangled In The Great Escape by Pierce the Veil

***********************************

"Do you think my uncle will find us, Mikey?" Ashton questioned the cat as they laid down in Ashton's small bed, trying to fall asleep. He had left Luke awhile ago, feeling like a burden to the boy. Michael simply looked at Ashton as he curled up by his side, his yellowy green eyes glowing in the dark.

Ashton sighed, letting his lungs completely fill with air before he breathed out again. His fingers lightly pat Michael's furry head, making the cat lean towards his touch. Ashton realized he would be a lot more lonely without the black cat, although he reminded Ashton of his old best friend. It brought back painful memories Ashton had been trying to swallow down and forget for a long time.

His eyes were refusing to grow heavy, and he knew this was bad. It gave him time to think, and thinking was never good for Ashton. His thoughts went from simple things to slightly upsetting things to things that Ashton didn't want to think about (like how much he didn't like himself).

Hearing Michael's slight snores from beside him (he had no idea cats snored) Ashton's eyes trailed to where he sleeve slipped down on his left arm. He reached out to the skin, lightly trailing one of his fingers down it.

Old scars. They never went away from when Ashton was in high school, being a constant reminder of how much those years sucked. They were very faint, so you'd have to be expecting them to be there to see them.

He shook his head, pulling his sleeve back down. Knowing that Luke could potentially see what he was doing made Ashton nervous, restricting him from doing things Luke would hate him for.

Ashton squeezed his eyes shut, forcing himself to finally fall asleep.

-------

"Oh my stomach's tied in knots, I'm afraid of what I'll find if you wanna talk tonight-" Luke softly sang to himself as he strummed his guitar, sitting cross-legged on the grassy earth.

Ashton quietly approached Luke, not wanting to disturb him. He was simply there because he and Luke always met at this secluded field in the afternoon, but now he felt like he was intruding.

"See the problem isn't you, it's me I know, I can tell I've seen it time after time-" Luke paused for a bit, taking a breath. Ashton took that as an opportunity to make his presence known.

"H-hey," he stuttered shyly, making Luke turn around. Instead of being flustered or angry, he smiled widely.

"Hi, Ash," Luke breathed, all white teeth and a dimple popped on one of his cheeks. He patted the ground next to him, beckoning for Ashton to sit down.