59. Ballad of a Thin Man

[#THINMAN]

Sam and Dylan were sitting at a table in the library doing some research. Natalia was sitting across them perusing an article, trying not to fall asleep.

Dean entered the room with a duffle bag slung over his shoulder. "All right. I'll be back."

"Wait. Where you headed?" Sam and Dylan asked.

"Washington. I caught a case."

"You want us to come with?"

"Do you three want to come?"

"On a hunt? Why wouldn't we?"

"I don't know, man. 'Cause lately with you, Dylan and now Nat, up is down and down is sideways, you know? I-I-I don't know what you want."

Sam and Dylan glared at him, Natalia huffed, and Dean walked over to the table.

"Okay," Dean replied. "You two want in? Fine. Sure thing." He pulled a paper from his jacket and slid it between Sam, Natalia and Dylan. "Photo leaked from the crime scene. Girl was murdered in her room, doors were locked, the windows were locked."

Sam and Dylan looked at the selfie the girl had taken, noticing a figure in the background. Natalia studied the photo as well and Sam asked, "Who's the wallflower?"

"Exactly. Best guess -- ghost caught on film. So, you three are coming?"

Sam and Dylan gathered up their laptops while Natalia closed her book and tied her shoes. "Does it look like we're staying?"

They made their way to the girl's house and stood talking to the girl's mother. There was a large blood stain on the carpet. Mrs. Miles stared at it as she talked. "I scrubbed for hours. I'll have to rip up the carpet. My daughter, Casey... She picked out the color herself."

"We're... very sorry for your loss, Mrs. Miles," Sam said gently. "You mentioned Casey had no known enemies. What about at home? Anything unusual you may have noticed? Uh... Electricity acting up or lights... flickering. TV on the fritz?"

"No, no fritzing. No cold spots, either."

"Sorry. Out of curiosity, uh...Why do you mention cold spots?" Dean asked.

"I'm sorry. That must sound strange, but... it's been three days since... And the police have found nothing. I'd h -- I'd have to sell my house to afford a private investigator, so when the Supernaturalists called-"

Natalia frowned and interrupted Mrs. Miles. "Whoa, hang on, sorry, uh... Supernaturalists?"

"I know to the FBI it's not exactly orthodox. But these men had answers that no one else had, and I-I owe it to Casey... to listen."

Sam frowned. "Now, they -- they brought up cold spots in relation to...?"

"Signs of the paranormal, I suppose. They're coming by today to take a look."

"And did these Supernaturalists give you a name?" Dylan inquired.

They pulled up to a diner and walked up to a van with the name "Ghostfacers" written on it.

Dean and Natalia shared an annoyed look before saying, "Son of a bitch."

The four of them walked into the diner and slid into the booth next to the Ghostfacers. Sam was next to Harry, Dylan had pulled up a chair at the end, and Natalia was squeezed close to Dean, who was seated next to Ed. Annoyed looks were obvious on the siblings' faces. Dylan had a slightly amused expression.

Harry said sarcastically, "Ah, the Winchesters. And their sidekick. Yay."

"Says nobody," Ed added.