62. The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Anymore)

[Meta Fiction]

A record-needle static sounded and hands typed on a typewriter. Fanfare-Rondeau by Jean-Joseph Mouret played in the background.

Metatron was sitting at the typewriter and looked into the camera before saying, "What makes a story work? Is it the plot, the characters, the text? The subtext? And who gives a story meaning? Is it the writer? Or you? Tonight, I thought I would tell you a little story and let you decide."

Water turned on in the Men of Letters shower. Dean stood under the spray, slowly dragged his hands through his hair and over his eyes as the water poured over him. He stood in front of the mirror and wiped away the steam. He looked into his own eyes for a second and sighed. His eyes wandered to his right arm and he rubbed the Mark of Cain with his left hand.

Natalia stared into another mirror, a tube of eyeliner in hand and stared at her reflection and sighed. She glanced at the Mark of Cain on her right arm and let out another sigh.

Sam and Dylan were on the phone while poring over numerous filed in the Bunker library.

"Yeah," Sam said. "All right. Thanks, Carlos. Listen, you, uh, if you catch wind of any other demon activity, give us a holler, all right? Appreciate it."

They saw Dean and Natalia enter and greeted, "Hey."

"Anything?" Dean and Natalia asked.

"Yeah," Sam replied. "A dozen demon-related cases, people without should acting out, but..."

"But no sign of Abaddon," Dean finished.

"Right. Looks like she vanished."

"Well, we just got to keep digging."

"Right." He noticed Dean and Natalia rubbing absentmindedly at the Mark on their arms. "You two okay?"

"Yeah. We're fine. Let's get to work."

"All right," Dylan agreed."

INT. UNDERGROUND FACTORY

Castiel and Azrael were walking down a corridor. They were trying to locate a pulsing sound. Castiel caught his jacket on something and tore it and Azrael moved her arm, getting a smidge of dust on it, but continued trying to search for the origin of the sound. They entered a room and there were bloodied bodies everywhere and on the wall was a sigil written in blood. They took out their phones and took picture of it. Behind them, someone was drawing an angel blade on them. They whipped around and he disarmed the woman.

The woman begged for her life. "Please... please, don't! Don't hurt me."

"We're not gonna hurt you," Castiel told her. "It's okay. What's your name?"

"Hannah."

"Hannah, w-what happened here?" Azrael asked before Hannah looked at the sigil and back to Castiel and Azrael.

"Yeah, we... we heard it, too," Castiel said. "What was it?"

"I don't know," Hannah replied. "It, uh, it sounded familiar. It sounded like Heaven. It's so strange down here. I, uh, followed the tone and found so many of my brothers and sisters had, as well. It felt safe here, and then the doors slammed shut and a strange angel arrived. He said he worked for the new God."

"For Metatron?" Castiel and Azrael questioned.

"Mm-hmm. He made us an offer... join Metatron, fight for him, and those that did would one day be allowed to return to Heaven."

"Return to Heaven?"

"I didn't believe him, either. But he said he would take us home. Some angels joined him. My friends and I refused, and, uh..."