Chapter Four

Flirting

Elizabeth sat down at the Ravenclaw table for breakfast, enjoying the fact that it was Saturday, and she didn't have any classes. Henry, Edmond, and Anne sat down next to her.

"Elizabeth, you didn't tell me you and James Potter were friends." Anne mentioned casually. Henry narrowed his eyes at James across the hall.

"Why are you friends with the Marauders?" He asked. Elizabeth sighed. Henry, a Slytherin, got teased by the Marauders quite often. He wasn't ever a direct target of their pranks, she doubted they even knew he existed, but he was a Slytherin, and was discriminated by them for it.

"I'm not friends with him. We ended up in detention together."

Edmond grinned.

"You're not getting away that easily. You two walked to Ancient Runes together. Dorcas Meadows told me you two talked the whole way there, and you hung out during class as well."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. It was just like Edmond to make a big deal out of nothing.

"What do you want me to say? He followed me to class, and we hung out. We're still not friends."

Anne smirked.

"He certainly seems to want to be friends. He asked me a million questions about you, he was really determined to figure out as much as possible."

"Listen, I'm not in charge of who you're friends with, but let me tell you, you're not the type to hang out with people that discriminate. That's exactly what the Marauders do. And considering who we are, it's not a great idea." Henry said, gesturing at the group of siblings.

"I know. Trust me, we're not friends. He'll lose his interest in me in a few days, I promise. He was just surprised that I wasn't drooling at his feet like the rest of the girls at this school."

Henry nodded, a smile gracing his features.

"I bet that gave him a real shock."

Anne seemed unsure, as did Edmond.

"If you insist."

"Guys! I know who he is. He just wants me to think he's great like everyone else does. It'll all be over by next week."

~~~~~~~

Elizabeth was wrong. It had been a full week, and James still said hello to her everyday and walked her to the classes they had together. She wasn't sure what he was playing at, she had been sure he just wanted another admirer, but he seemed keen to genuinely get to know her.

"So, you and James seem closer than ever." Anne commented, smirking as they sat down at the Hufflepuff table the following Saturday. Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

"I don't want to talk about that with you guys."

Edmond smirked.

"No, let's talk about this. You're obviously interested in being his friend, and he clearly is too."

"What makes you think I want to be his friend?" Elizabeth asked skeptically.

"Elizabeth, you are the quickest person I've ever seen to turn someone down that you don't like. You want to be his friend at least a little bit, because you let him walk you to class."

Henry looked between Edmond and Elizabeth.

"Listen, Elizabeth, I know the only reason you two aren't best buddies at this point is because of me." He said. Elizabeth turned to him.

"No it's not. I don't agree with his prejudice. In fact, I strongly disagree with it. That's why we're not 'Best Buddies'. Because he's a prejudiced snob."

"And you have too much pride to let him get too close to you." Edmond remarked. Elizabeth ignored him.

"Oh! You're like that muggle book, Pride and Prejudice! Your name's even Elizabeth! Oh, I can just see it. You two could get married!" Anne exclaimed. Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

"I don't plan on getting married to James Potter, Anne."

"I should hope not. We're not even friends." A familiar voice said from behind them. Elizabeth turned quickly to see James Potter standing behind her, with the rest of the Marauders standing behind him. "Hello, Ms. Acquaintance. I was just coming over to say hi, but I'm intrigued by the fact that your sister here is planning our wedding." He sat down in between Anne and Elizabeth. "Now, Anne, tell me more about this book. Does it, by chance, have a dashing young man that all the ladies love?"

Anne nodded.

"Yeah, it does, but that's not who I was saying you were."

Remus Lupin let out a short laugh. Anne continued.

"If anyone, I think Edmond would be the Mr. Wickham. You're Mr. Darcy. Elizabeth is Elizabeth, and I think I'm Lydia." She looked at Henry. "You can be Caroline Bingley, because you're just a bit stuck up."

Sirius Black snorted. Henry flipped his sister off.

"Well, now I have to read this fabulous book. Learn all about our wedding." James said to Elizabeth, who rolled her eyes.

"Go ahead, it still doesn't bring you up to friend status, Mr. Acquaintance."

James nodded.

"I see. It seems we have a bit to go before the wedding." He said, standing up. "Well, it was lovely seeing you, Ms. Acquaintance, Anne, Edmond, Henry." He nodded to them all and walked away with the Marauders. Elizabeth watched him walk away for a second before turning back to her siblings, who were all staring at her.

"What?"

"'Not even friends.' You guys were just openly flirting." Edmond said. Elizabeth shook her head.

"No we weren't. That's just how we talk. Besides, he's got Lily Evans."

Anne shook her head.

"He hasn't asked her out at all this year. She's also got a boyfriend, and he's clearly doing fine romantically." She gestured at Elizabeth, who sighed and turned to Henry.

"You believe me, don't you?"

Henry just shook his head, amused.

"He's whipped, dearest Lizzie. He even learned my name and treated me like a normal person. If you continue like this, you might just get rid of his hate for Slytherins."

Elizabeth groaned.

"He's not, and we weren't flirting! I swear. We're just both sarcastic."

"How did he even learn our names?" Edmond wondered out loud. Elizabeth turned to a guilty looking Anne.

"He keeps talking to me, and he asked about our family. What was I supposed to do? Besides, I kind of like him. He's nice." She said happily. Edmond gave Elizabeth a look. She groaned and hit her head on the table.