Chapter Twenty Six

Explainations

"Did the school decide to take your bed away over Easter vacation?" Remus asked. Elizabeth shielded her eyes from the sun and nodded.

"I'll be staying here for the foreseeable future. Hope you don't mind."

"I don't, but your siblings might." Remus said. Elizabeth sat up.

"Does Anne know that I'm up here?" She asked. Remus shook his head.

"She headed up to her dorm before you and James came in. I'm just letting you know that getting out of here might be a bit harder for you."

Elizabeth sighed and fell back into the bed.

"It'll be fine. I just want to sleep."

"Well we have classes in less than an hour, so I don't reccomend it."

Elizabeth sighed and shook James awake. He mumbled something and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her against him. She sighed and pulled herself away. James sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"What time is it?"

"Time for you and Elizabeth to get up. We have classes in 45 minutes." Sirius said, walking out of the bathroom.

"You can get ready in here, if you'd like." James offered to Elizabeth, who shook her head.

"I'll just run to my common room. The girls in my dorm are usually ready by now anyways."

James nodded.

"Alright. I'll see you at breakfast." He said. Elizabeth kissed him quickly and grabbed her clothes from the chair she had put them on when James had given her one of his shirts.

"See you guys later." She said, waving to the Marauders before running downstairs. She hurried to the portrait hole, eager to avoid anyone she knew, when she heard a familiar gasp.

"Elizabeth?"

Elizabeth turned around slowly.

"Hey Anne. Are you ready for class?"

"I'm further along than you are." Anne retorted. Elizabeth smiled sheepishly.

"Listen, I'd love to explain this all to you, but I'm in a bit of a rush. Can we talk about it later? Also, could you not tell Henry or Edmond? At least until I explain everything."

Anne nodded, a smirk coming to her face.

"You'd better hurry up, you wouldn't want to run into a teacher like that." She said, gesturing to Elizabeth, who flushed.

"Right. Thanks."

She ran out of the common room and through the halls, avoiding all of the people she could. She arrived at the Ravenclaw Common Room and answered the riddle hurriedly.

She slipped up the stairs to her dorm, trying to remain as unnoticeable as possible. She knocked on the door, hoping that Bertha had already gone to breakfast. Not hearing a response, she slipped inside and ran into the bathroom.

She took a quick shower, and braided her hair, keeping it out of her face. She did light makeup, not wanting it to make her late, and threw on some clothes. Running down the stairs, she skidded into the Great Hall and sat down at the Ravenclaw table. Bertha Jorkins looked at her.

"Where were you last night?"

"I had a sleepover with Anne." Elizabeth lied smoothly. Bertha nodded.

"Anyway, we have class in just a few minutes. You're barely on time." She said, looking at her watch. Elizabeth glanced at the Gryffindor table, where the Marauders had just sat down.

"Yeah, I was in a hurry this morning. Listen, I have to talk to Anne about something. I think I left my book in her room. I'll be back." She said, getting up from the table. She sat down next to Anne and sighed.

"It's not what you think it was."

"It's okay, I already asked James about it. However, Henry did tell me that Regulus saw you in the halls this morning wearing someone else's shirt, so you might need to come up with a good excuse for that. I'm sure he's already told Edmond."

Elizabeth nodded.

"I'll probably just tell them what actually happened. It's not like I did anything wrong. And I'd rather they didn't find out I lied to them later."

Anne nodded.

"Well, I've got class, I'll see you later." She said, hugging Elizabeth quickly and leaving.

"Good morning." James said, kissing her cheek as he sat down next to her.

"Morning." She said. "Are you ready for class? We only have a few minutes."

James nodded and they stood up, walking out of the Great Hall. James put his arm round Elizabeth's shoulders and pulled her against him.

"I heard you ran into Anne this morning." He commented. Elizabeth groaned.

"Ugh, don't remind me. Apparently, my little walk of shame was noticed by quite a few people, including Regulus Black, who told my brother."

"Has he confronted you about it?"

"No, he's the type to wait until after class. He might say something in front of Edmond, though."

"Well, it's best to just tell them the truth, isn't it? I mean, it's not like we did anything wrong, other than breaking a couple of rules."

"Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that conversation."

~~~~~~~~~

"You had an eventful night, didn't you?" Edmond asked hotly as he sat down next to her in the library. Elizabeth shrugged, not looking up from her book.

"More or less."

"Elizabeth, this isn't a joke. Why did you leave Gryffindor tower this morning in someone's shirt?" He demanded. Elizabeth put her book down and looked at him.

"Because I stayed the night in Gryffindor Tower."

"Care to explain what you were doing in Gryffindor Tower? Because I'm sure you weren't having a sleepover with Anne."

"I stayed the night in the boys' dormitories." Elizabeth said coolly.

"Why do you do insist on making choices like this? I don't want people thinking my sister's a-" he paused. Elizabeth stared at him coldly.

"A what, Edmond? Go ahead and finish that."

"You know what I mean, Elizabeth. I just don't want you to make choices you'll regret."

"Well I'm perfectly content with my choices, Edmond. James and I didn't do anything last night, and I would never let anything happen that I didn't want to. So thank you for your concern, but it's not a problem."

And with that, she grabbed her bag and stormed out of the library.