Chapter Seven

Updates

"So, there have been even more updates since last week." Henry commented as they sat down at the Slytherin table. Elizabeth sighed.

"Listen, my life was never the primary conversation topic before. Why does it have to be now?"

"Because it's interesting." Anne pointed out. "We're all living absolutely boring lives right now. You have something good to talk about."

Edmond snorted.

"Henry's got something interesting to talk about. Or should I say, someone." He teased. Henry threw him a nasty look. Elizabeth and Anne looked between the two, confused.

"What's this about?" Anne said, excited for the gossip.

"Oh, just that our dear brother has been talking to a girl. Romantically." He added. Anne immediately turned to Henry.

"What's her name? What house is she in? Do I know her?"

Henry sighed, throwing another dirty look at Edmond before answering.

"It's not really a big deal, we're just friends." He said. Edmond gave him a side-eye.

"Right. Well, Elizabeth, you wouldn't let us talk about your situation last week, so it's definitely time. You and James seem close." He remarked.

"He talks to me a lot, usually about you, but all the other girls in my dorm think I'm lucky because a seventh year boy talks to me." Anne said happily. Henry nodded.

"He talks to me, too. Like in the halls and stuff. He clearly isn't super comfortable with me being a Slytherin and all, but he really does put in some effort. He's definitely into you."

Elizabeth sighed.

"I think that's been established, thank you very much. And I don't want to date him right now, his attitude towards Slytherins is terrible."

"I bet if he knew the real reason you wouldn't date him, he would change." Anne said, sighing happily. "Like a real Mr. Darcy."

"Please. If he changes all of that just because of me, I owe you a butterbeer at Hogsmeade." Elizabeth said. "No one does that in real life."

"But the real question is, would you date him if he changed?" Anne said, mischief gleaming in her eyes.

"Yeah, I suppose I would." Elizabeth said, not meeting her siblings' eyes. She missed the grin that took Anne's face, and the look Henry and Edmond sent to each other.

"Well, I've got to get going, I promised I'd help Bertha with her charms homework." Elizabeth said. Her siblings nodded.

"Have fun with that!" Anne chirped. Elizabeth looked at her suspiciously, but shook it off.

"Right."

"I can talk to James about it. I'm sure that once he realizes the real reason Elizabeth won't go out with him, he'll do something to change it." Anne said as soon as Elizabeth had left. Henry nodded.

"He obviously likes her enough to change, and it would be nice if we weren't targeted as much. I see it as a win-win. James gets his dream girl or whatever, and the Slytherins get treated like human beings."

Edmond nodded.

"Honestly, I like James. He seems nice, and he clearly cares about Elizabeth. I don't really have a problem with her dating him if he passes her standards. We should just give him the chance to change."

Anne and Henry nodded.

"So I should talk to him about it?" Anne asked. Henry and Edmond nodded.

"Knock yourself out."

~~~~~~~~

"Um, James?" Anne asked, approaching the seventh year. James turned around.

"Oh, hey Anne!"

"Right, hi. Um, I wanted to talk to you about something." She said nervously. She knew Elizabeth wouldn't be pleased that she was telling James, but it was like Edmond said. He needed a chance.

"What is it?"

"Well, it's about Elizabeth, and the reason she just wants to be friends."

James looked at her, confused.

"How do you know about that?"

Anne gave him a look.

"We're sisters, James. She tells me stuff. Anyways, she won't go out with you because of your prejudice. Like in the book."

James furrowed his eyebrows.

"What do you mean, my prejudice?"

"Well, you kind of hate Slytherins. Everyone knows that. And our brother, Henry, is a Slytherin. And even if we didn't have a brother in Slytherin, Elizabeth's really against prejudice, you know?"

"Right. Thanks for telling me, Anne. Does Elizabeth know you told me?"

Anne's eyes widened.

"Not quite. Honestly, she'd probably be mad if she knew I told you, but Henry, Edmond and I thought you deserved to know."

James nodded.

"Well, thanks."

Anne nodded, feeling that the conversation had ended, and went back to her friends. James turned to the Marauders. Remus looked utterly amused.

"Finally met your match, haven't you, Prongs?"

James stick his tongue out.

"She really turned me down because I don't like Slytherins?"

"Well, I think you're under compensating there. You definitely don't just dislike Slytherins. And it makes sense. I mean, she has family in Slytherin, and she doesn't like prejudice anyway, which also makes sense. Frankly, I think this is a great way for you to change your bad habits and opinions." Remus pointed out. James nodded.

"Well she could have just told me."

"I don't think that was the point. She didn't want to spoon feed you everything you needed to date her."

James shrugged.

"I guess I have something to work on."

Remus grinned. Elizabeth was turning the Marauders into better people without even meaning to.