Chapter Nine

Kids and kisses

Elizabeth put down her quill. She had just finished her practice exam for Transfiguration, and felt more confident about her NEWT's. She knew it would still be hard to pass them all, but if she just paid attention and did all of her homework, she felt confident on her abilities to pass her exams.

When they were allowed to leave the Transfiguration classroom, Elizabeth quickly packed up her bag and hurried upstairs. She had forgotten about Christmas break, and needed to pack her trunk before they left the next morning.

She answered the riddle at the Ravenclaw door and ran up to her dorm. She folded all of her clothes and went through her drawers, pulling out anything that she needed over Christmas break before throwing it all in her trunk and snapping it shut. She walked back downstairs and sat down on one of the couches, enjoying the fact that she didn't need to be stressed. Bertha Jorkins came in through the entrance and looked around. When her eyes landed on Elizabeth, she hurried over.

"Your sister is outside, she said she needs to talk to you."

Elizabeth nodded and headed outside. Anne was sitting on the ground just outside the entrance, waiting.

"You wanted to talk?" Elizabeth said. Anne's head snapped up and she quickly stood up, grabbing Elizabeth's hand and pulling her through the halls and into an empty classroom. When they walked inside, Elizabeth thought she heard a scuffle in the corner of the room. She looked suspiciously at the corner, then shrugged it off. Somebody's cat had probably ended up trapped in here. She could find it later and let it out.

"Sorry, I just didn't want anyone to hear us." Anne said. Elizabeth nodded.

"What is it?"

"Well," Anne seemed hesitant to tell her. "I have a friend, and she's pregnant."

Elizabeth's eyes widened. Anne was only a fifth year.

"What?"

"Yeah. She's a seventh year, but we get along well. And she didn't know what to do, so she told me, and I said I would tell you, because you would know what to do."

Elizabeth nodded slowly.

"Right. So, I think the first thing we need to do is take her to Madame Pomfrey. Make sure she's actually pregnant, and get an adult's advice. Madame Pomfrey won't tell anyone, she has doctor-patient confidentiality, so she's a great person to go to."

Anne nodded.

"Alright. I'll take you to her dorm, and you can meet her."

"Okay. What's her name, by the way, just so I don't have to ask her."

"Oh yeah, it's Amy Tarver."

Elizabeth was certain she heard a gasp from the corner of the room, but after further examination, she didn't see anyone. She narrowed her eyes and followed Anne out of the room. They made it up to Gryffindor tower and Elizabeth covered her ears while Anne said the password. She followed Anne up to the girls' seventh year dorms and knocked on the door.

"Amy? It's Elizabeth and Anne."

There was a sniffle, then a faint 'come in'. Elizabeth opened the door, and she and Anne walked in. Elizabeth sat down next to the crying girl and rubbed her back.

"It's okay. You're going to get through this. Does the father know?"

Amy shook her head.

"Do you know who the father is?" Elizabeth asked tentatively. Amy nodded.

"It's Dax Wood."

"The keeper?" Elizabeth asked. Amy nodded.

"We've been dating for a while now, but we're definitely not ready for a baby."

"Have you been to see Madame Pomfrey? She won't tell anyone, and she can help you."

Amy considered it.

"I guess we could go see her. Then we'd be sure and everything. Besides, what harm will it do?"

Elizabeth and Anne nodded.

"That's the spirit! Come on, we can go see her now."

The group of girls walked down the stairs to the Gryffindor common room, where Elizabeth saw the Marauders, who hadn't been there on her way up, staring at them. She looked at James, and he blushed and looked down, avoiding eye contact again. Elizabeth shrugged it off and walked with Anne and Amy to the hospital wing.

When they made it up to the hospital wing, Elizabeth went and got Madame Pomfrey.

"Er, Madame Pomfrey?"

The healer turned.

"Yes dear?"

"Well, my friend, she's pregnant, at least, she thinks she is." She said quietly. Madame Pomfrey nodded and followed her to where Amy was sitting.

"Alright, Ms. Tarver, let's see this baby." She pulled out her wand and muttered a spell. A hologram appeared over Amy's stomach, and Elizabeth could see the faint shape of a baby. Amy paled a bit.

"So it's for sure, then. I'm going to have a kid. I'm going to be a mom." She said. Elizabeth didn't think she looked too upset about it which she found as an absolute win.

"Do you want me to go and get Dax?" She asked. Amy shook her head.

"I want to tell my parents first. I can have him over after and tell him."

Madame Pomfrey nodded approvingly.

"All right. Let me teach you a bit about being a mother." She said. Elizabeth and Anne took that as their cue to leave. They said their goodbyes to Amy, making sure she was okay, then headed back to the Gryffindor common room upon Anne's request.

"Come on! I want to spend some time with you without the boys. We can talk about girly things."

Elizabeth laughed and agreed. She covered her ears as Anne said the password, then stepped up into the common room. As she and Anne headed up the stairs, they were interrupted by James's voice.

"Hey Elizabeth! Can I talk to you?"

Elizabeth looked at Anne, who nodded. She sighed and walked back down the stairs.

"Yeah?"

James led her into what she knew to be 'The Marauders Corner'.

"Listen, Sirius and I heard your conversation with Anne earlier."

"What? That wasn't your conversation to listen to!" Elizabeth said viciously.

"I know! It's not like we wanted to hear it!"

"Well how did you even hear it? We were in a classroom. There wasn't anybody else there." Elizabeth said. James flinched, and Elizabeth remembered the sounds she had heard in the corner.

"To be fair, it wasn't the best place to have a conversation that you didn't want people to hear." He defended. "Anybody could have heard you! It could have been Dax, or a Slytherin, or-"

"What is your problem with Slytherins? You know, I really though you had changed! That you had let go of your stupid prejudiced opinions, but here you are, doing this-"

"Stop!" James said. "Can you just shut up and let me explain?"

"No! I won't! Because you won't stop-" Her sentence was interrupted by James's lips on her own. Her hands flew instinctively around his neck, while his wound around her waist. When they pulled apart, Elizabeth realized what she had just done, and quickly pulled herself out of his grip.

"I... have to go."

She hurried up the stairs, leaving James standing in the common room, wondering what had just happened.