Chapter Five

Amortentia

"Good morning, Ms. Acquaintance, or should I say Mrs. Acquaintance?" James asked, walking over to Elizabeth, who groaned.

"Don't you start on that. Anne's a little romantic, she'll find a 'forbidden love' in any situation."

"Well, I like the name Mrs. Acquaintance. It fits you well, in my opinion." He grinned cheekily, making Elizabeth roll her eyes.

"I don't. Besides, I don't get to change you name, which isn't fair. If you get to give me a terrible nickname, I want to give you one too." Elizabeth said. James smiled.

"Aren't nicknames for friends?"

"Usually, but I think I can make an exception for my favorite acquaintance."

"So I'm your favorite?" James asked, smirking.

"My favorite acquaintance." Elizabeth corrected. "And don't be flattered, I don't have many acquaintances. They usually make it onto my friend list before long." She said pointedly. James nodded.

"Got it. I'm special."

Elizabeth snorted.

"That's one way of putting it."

"Peachy! Well, Mrs. Acquaintance, I have class soon, but it was lovely talking to you." He winked and they parted ways. Edgar Bones immediately walked up to Elizabeth.

"What was that?"

Elizabeth blinked in surprise.

"What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean, what was that with James Potter?"

"We were just talking."

"No, you were flirting. When did that start?"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

"Everyone keeps saying that, but we're not."

Edgar looked utterly unconvinced.

"Right. Well, have you heard? We're making amortentia in potions today."

Elizabeth sighed.

"That's a terrible idea. Do they really want some love-crazed seventeen-year-old girls knowing how to make a powerful love potion?"

Edgar nodded.

"I know, but it'll be fun, won't it?"

"I guess."

"Maybe you can partner up with lover-boy. Wouldn't that be nice?" Edgar asked, smirking at Elizabeth, who groaned.

~~~~~~

"Today we'll be making Amortentia. Can anyone tell me what that is?"

Elizabeth raised her hand.

"Ms. Thompson?"

"Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in the world. It is distinctive for its mother-of-pearl sheen, and steam rises from the potion in spirals. Amortentia smells different to each person, according to what attracts them." Elizabeth answered. Slughorn smiled.

"Very well done, Ms. Thompson. Five points to Ravenclaw. Yes, Amortentia is a powerful love potion. It is very dangerous, so I must ask that none of you attempt to make this outside of class. I will be assigning you all partners, and these partners will be your partners for all projects for the rest of the year."

He started naming people, and Elizabeth zoned out, waiting to her her own name.

"Thompson, Potter."