Chapter Twelve

Letters

"So, Elizabeth. Tell me all about you and the Potter boy. There's obvious sexual tension, and I would like to know the whole backstory to it." Caroline said, sitting down on Elizabeth's bed. Elizabeth sighed.

"It's not really that serious. We had detention together at the beginning of the year, and that's when we became friends. And then we were potions partners and we made amortentia, and we smelled each other, which was pretty embarrassing."

"And incredibly romantic." Caroline said. Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

"But then I said I didn't want to date because he's so prejudiced against Slytherins, so we agreed to stay friends."

"So that's why he's upset?"

"No. So the day before we left back home, there was a whole other thing with this girl, and Anne brought me to the Gryffindor common room, and we ended up kissing."

"I feel like you skipped a lot of steps there. What happened before you kissed? What romantic gestures were there?"

"None. I was yelling at him, and then he just leaned forward and kissed me."

"And did you kiss him back?" Caroline asked, seemingly very interested in her little sister's love life.

"Well, yeah. But then I realized what was happening and I kind of ran away, and we haven't talked about it." She finished lamely. Caroline smirked.

"Sounds like you've got a man that's crazy for you. Why turn him down?"

"Well first off, his ego's taller than Big Ben. But the main thing is his whole thing against Slytherins. I just can't see myself being happy with someone that can hate an entire group of people because of their house."

"Well I can tell you don't mind his ego, and he was nice to me and Henry. He didn't seem to care when I told him that I was a Slytherin."

"I don't know. He acts like that sometimes, and everything's fine, but then he just goes and says something about them again. It drives me nuts."

"Well he's obviously making an effort for you. And I'm sure it's hard to break a seventeen-year-long habit. You should give him a chance. You can always break up with him if you decide it's not working." She offered. Elizabeth shrugged.

"I guess. I still don't know."

"Well-"

Caroline was interrupted by an owl pecking at the window. Elizabeth got up and opened the window, taking the letter attached to it's leg.

"Who's it for?"

Elizabeth scanned the envelope.

"Me."

"Ooh! Who sent it?" Caroline tried to grab the letter, but Elizabeth pulled it out of her reach.

"Let me read it before I tell you anything."

Caroline pouted and sat back down. Elizabeth sat across from her and opened the letter, reading it's contents.

Dear Elizabeth,

I must apologize for the way I acted the day before we left on vacation. I wasn't thinking clearly, because you two were in a close proximity and I said things I didn't mean. I hope you'll realize that I don't hate the entire Slytherin house, and that my words were simply spoken out of habit, not from my heart. I truly hope that you will forgive me and allow me another chance at friendship, even if I don't deserve it. I would also like to apologize for kissing you so suddenly. As I mentioned, I wasn't thinking clearly, and I'm truly sorry for overstepping your boundaries like I did. He wants to do it again, though. It'd be awfully rude of you to turn him down twice, wouldn't it? I'm sincerely sorry for wronging you, and I do hope you'll consider forgiving me.

My deepest apologies,

James Potter

P.S. James really likes you, and you should snog him the next time you see him

P.P.S. Sirius says hi

Elizabeth smiled at the letter. There were parts poorly scratched out that Sirius had clearly written. She folded up the letter and looked back at Caroline.

"It was just one of my friends." She said casually. Caroline furrowed her eyebrows skeptically.

"I saw the way you smiled at it. I bet it was James."

"James is one of my friends." Elizabeth pointed out. Caroline smirked triumphantly.

"So it was him! Please let me read it! I don't have anything exciting happening in my life." She pleaded. Elizabeth sighed and handed her the letter. Caroline read it quickly.

"Sirius was the other one at dinner, right?" She asked. Elizabeth nodded. "I like him. It seems like we're on the same page here." She said, gesturing at the half-heartedly scribbled out notes Sirius had left. Elizabeth had a feeling James had left them legible on purpose, either to entertain her, or this was one of many letters that Sirius had defiled, and James didn't care enough to properly cover the messages.

"So your choice is pretty obvious now." Caroline said. Elizabeth looked at her, confused.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, the only option at this point is to ask him out, then snog him. He's apologized, he clearly cares about you, and you care about him. I don't understand why you're still denying it."

"I don't know, I'm just not ready for any of this, I guess." Elizabeth offered lamely. Caroline rolled her eyes.

"None of us are ready for our Prince Charming to come, but yours is here, so let him sweep you off of your feet!"

Elizabeth considered it. James really did seem sorry, and they were clearly attracted to each other. It couldn't hurt.

"I suppose I could give him a chance." She said slowly. Caroline grinned.

"That's the attitude! When are you going to see him next? I want to get you all ready."