Chapter Eighteen

Official

The weeks passed, with Elizabeth and James growing "Annoyingly close", according to Henry. They had been on a few more dates, and now Elizabeth had worn James's jersey to his last quidditch game, insisting that it was just because they were friends. This had caused a few problems between Elizabeth and the group of fourth year girls that had crushes on James. One of them, Lacey Smith, had approached Elizabeth immediately after the game.

"Are you and James dating?" She demanded. Elizabeth blinked.

"No, we aren't."

"Then why are you wearing his jersey?"

"Because he asked me to. We're friends, you see, and friends support each other." Elizabeth said, not bothering to hide her annoyance.

"Well you better watch out, because James is mine. He always has been and he always will be. You two didn't even know each other before this year, but James and I go way back."

"All the way back to when he babysat you?" Elizabeth asked.

Lacey scoffed.

"You're just jealous because you know that James would never want you. He wants me."

"Have you ever had a real conversation with him? One that he started?" Elizabeth asked. Lacey opened her mouth, but was unable to come up with a response. "I think you might want to re-define 'wants', Lacey. And he isn't a piece of meat to be fought over, he's a real human being with feelings. You can't claim him."

"Whatever. You just don't understand our bond. But watch out. I wouldn't want your little heart to get broken." She said, feigning sweetness.

"I'll be careful. Thanks for looking out for me, Lacey." Elizabeth said, walking away. Anne joined her shortly after.

"I hate that girl. She's so protective of James, even though he doesn't really know she exists. I don't understand why you didn't just tell her you've been on dates with him. That would have shut her up."

"Because, James and I both agreed that the whole school knowing about us was too much for right now. And it would shut her up for about a day, before she would tell everybody that I was a liar and that I was stalking James or something. I'm just not really up for that."

Anne nodded.

"She's a crazy, that's for sure. But aren't you and James officially dating? You seem like it to everyone. I had a couple of girls ask me about you two. I think they were part of his fan club, so I said I didn't know."

"Thanks for that, and no, we're not dating officially."

"But you've been on dates." Anne pointed out.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean-"

"And you've kissed, multiple times."

"We-How did you know about that?" Elizabeth asked. Anne shrugged.

"I saw you once, after one of your dates. And Henry told me he saw you two at Hogsmeade as well. And if you add your first kiss, that's multiple. Besides, I'm sure it's been more than that."

Elizabeth blushed slightly.

"I wasn't aware that you guys spy on me when I leave the castle. I guess I'll have to be more careful to avoid you guys."

"No, don't! It's much more interesting than anything that happens in my dorm. It's my main source of entertainment."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

"Whatever. Just don't be creepy, please."

Anne shrugged.

"No promises."

~~~~~~~~

"Elizabeth! Can I talk to you?" James asked, catching up to her as she headed down to breakfast. She nodded, waiting for him to talk.

"Actually, I was hoping we could talk in a more private place." He said, nodding his head towards a few first years that looked all too eager to listen in on their conversation. Elizabeth nodded, and he led her to an empty classroom.

"Listen, I really like you, Elizabeth. I'm going to go ahead and assume you like me too. And I know we argue a lot, and we clash, but there's no one I'd rather argue with. In just a few months, you've managed to change my entire perspective on life, basically. You've made me a better person, and I don't want to just let this opportunity go. If we got together, we'd probably kill each other by Monday morning, but Sunday night would be the best night of my life. I've made a million mistakes in my life, and I don't want letting you go to be another one of them. Will you be my girlfriend?"

Elizabeth chuckled.

"Pride and prejudice always did go together nicely."

James grinned and leaned forward, kissing her. She could feel him smile into the kiss, and felt herself smile as well. When they pulled away, she leaned her forehead against his and smiled.

"How many times did you rehearse that speech?"

James chuckled.

"A lot."

"Well it was pretty good."

"Thanks."

~~~~~~~~

"He was never romantic before. You've turned him into a real sap, Elizabeth." Lily teased. Elizabeth rolled her eyes and bumped Lily.

"Blame Anne for that. She's the one that introduced him to Jane Austen."

"I don't think Anne had anything to do with it. I think it was mainly his feelings for you."

"I was also wondering, did his crazy fangirls ever threaten you? I've had three of them approach me now." Elizabeth said. Lily shuddered.

"Those girls scare me so much. I had a first year last year tell me that she would sneak into my dorm and shave my head if I ever agreed to go on a date with him."

"The thing is, they don't even know James and I are dating, and they're already crazy. It makes me really nervous to tell people."

Lily nodded.

"I would wait a bit. At least until they've calmed down about you two being close friends. But I get it, they're scary. They're hormonal little girls without close supervision, and access to magic. It's a recipe for disaster."

"I'm just glad James and I were on the same page about keeping it quiet for a bit. Really, the last thing we need is the judgement of the whole school while we're still in the early stages of our relationship."

"How far do you see the relationship going?" Lily asked. Elizabeth shrugged.

"I mean, it's hard to tell right now, but I can see it becoming a serious relationship. It's really too early to say anything's for sure, so I'm just trying to enjoy it for now, but I really like James."

Lily sighed.

"You two are so cute."