Chapter Eleven

Christmas Dinner

"You, Edmond, Sirius, and James can sit at this table together, Elizabeth." Mrs. Thompson said, pointing to a small table in the corner of the dining room. Elizabeth nodded, ignoring the dread that filled her.

"Is Caroline coming home for Christmas as well?" She asked hopefully. The oldest Thompson child, Caroline, had graduated Hogwarts two years previously and moved to America to become a journalist. She rarely came home, but Elizabeth hoped that she would come and ease the tension over dinner.

"She said to plan on it. She has work off, she just doesn't know about travel yet."

"How about she sits at the table with us? She'll make it much more interesting, and I'm sure she'll keep James and Sirius entertained."

Mrs. Thompson considered the option.

"I suppose that would work. Are you sure you want her with you guys? It might be a bit awkward because they don't know her."

Elizabeth nodded.

"She's the life of the party, and they love parties. It's a match made in heaven."

Mrs. Thompson nodded.

"Alright. That just leaves the big table with Mr. and Mrs. Potter, Henry, Anne, and your father and I. Everyone should be comfortable."

"Perfect!"

"But Elizabeth, it's your job to make sure that your table is happy. I know you're friends with James, so you need to make sure everything goes smoothly."

"Mum, James and I are kind of at an awkward point right now. I don't know that leaving me to lead the conversation at that table is the best idea."

Mrs. Thompson nodded.

"I know, Anne told me when you guys got home. I'm trusting you to put that aside for tonight."

Elizabeth nodded, making a mental note to go and beat Anne up. Tonight was going to be interesting.

~~~~~~~

The night had gone smoothly through the meal, Caroline making jokes and keeping James and Sirius laughing all night.

"No, she really did. She just kept walking even after her pants fell down."

Sirius had laughed so hard water had come out of his nose. Elizabeth smiled, knowing her work for the night was done. James sent her a look across the table like he had been doing all night. Elizabeth ignored it. She knew he just wanted to talk to her, but she didn't want to talk to him. Edmond raised his eyebrows at her, looking in between her and James. She raised her eyebrows at him as well, refusing to acknowledge what he was trying to do.

"So, what's the deal between you two?" Caroline asked, looking between James and Elizabeth. Elizabeth's eyes widened.

"What do you mean?" She asked, trying to tell Caroline not to go into it without actually saying anything.

"Well, you've been sending each other looks all night."

Sirius snorted.

"You mean Elizabeth's been ignoring the looks James has been sending her all night."

"Ooh, what's the drama?" Caroline asked, leaning forward and resting her chin on her hands. Sirius and Edmond leaned in as well, eager to tell her. Elizabeth shook her head.

"There's no drama. Trust me, it's nothing, really."

"I mean, it would be nothing if you would actually talk to me about it." James said. Elizabeth's eyes snapped to him. Caroline smiled and leaned forward even further.

"It doesn't sound like nothing to me, Lizzie." She said in a sing-song voice. She turned to James. "Tell me everything."

James glanced at Elizabeth for a second. She shook her head wildly. He looked back at Caroline.

"Okay, so-"

"James Potter, if you say another word I will jump across this table and attack you."

James stopped talking. Caroline smirked at him.

"You're really scared of little Lizzie here? She couldn't do a thing to you."

James looked at her skeptically.

"She's put two different students in the hospital wing over the past two years. I don't think there's a student at Hogwarts that would mess with her and her jelly-legs-jinx."

Caroline's eyes widened.

"When did my sister turn into the coolest girl at Hogwarts? I thought no one would be able to live up to my standard, but here you are, a school renowned baddie. I'm just shocked that none of you told me." She said, pointing accusingly at Edmond, who shrugged.

"You never asked."

"Well, now you guys have to tell me more about my darling sister." She said, turning back to Sirius and James. Sirius nodded.

"What house were you in, by the way? I'm just wondering, because I can't decide which one fits you best.

Caroline rolled her eyes.

"I was sorted into Slytherin, but I think that I wasn't really a Slytherin at age eleven. I was more of a Hufflepuff, to be honest. I sure grew into the stereotype, didn't I?"

Sirius shrugged.

"Well, it's not like you've tried to attack us, so I'd say you're doing better than the stereotype."

"You guys are Gryffindors, aren't you? Makes sense. I've never met a Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw with good stories to tell. They're not nearly impulsive enough."

James snorted. Elizabeth and Edmond opened their mouths to protest, but Caroline held up a hand.

"Tell me one adventurous and impulsive thing you've done, and I'll take it back."

Edmond stuck out his tongue while Elizabeth smirked triumphantly.

"I went skinny dipping last year on a dare."

Edmond, James, and Sirius stared at her. Caroline quickly got over her shock and smiled.

"You really have turned into a rebel, haven't you? I'm very proud."

"Who even dared you to go skinny dipping? The girls in your dorm are lame." Edmond said. Elizabeth scoffed.

"You obviously don't know them well."

Sirius furrowed his eyebrows.

"I'd say I know a few of them well enough, and they don't seem like the type."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

"Shagging a girl doesn't mean you 'know them well enough', Sirius. Knowing someone's body is different than knowing their personalities. Besides, if they slept with Mr. STD farm, they're more than adventurous."

James and Caroline snorted. Sirius had an expression that was either offended or impressed.

"I am not an STD farm!"

"I know four different girls that would say otherwise."

Caroline coughed.

"As interesting as this conversation is, and I would very much like to know more about Sirius's escapades, there is something else that needs to be discussed, and that is the undeniable tension between you two." She said, pointing at James and Elizabeth. Elizabeth and James groaned. Edmond and Sirius smirked maliciously.

"Let me tell you all about it. It all started when-"

"Sirius!"