Chapter Twenty Four

Easter Vacation

"You wanted to talk?" Elizabeth asked, walking up behind Regulus, making him jump slightly.

"Yeah, just...not here." He said, casting a nervous glance around. Elizabeth nodded and led him into an empty classroom.

"I know what you're trying to do, Elizabeth, and it's not going to work. It's not worth the effort. My family has too much influence in the ministry."

"So do the Potters and my Grandmother." Elizabeth pointed out. Regulus sighed.

"Just trust me. As much as I'd like to think it'd work, it won't. And then I'll have dragged your family into my mess, which I won't do."

"I'm not giving you the option to turn me down right now, Regulus. I want to see what we can put together before we shut it down. I think we have enough, if we can just get-"

"Elizabeth, please." Regulus begged, tears shining in his dark eyes. "I know what you're thinking, and you could be right, everything could work out, but I can't let you risk your family's safety for me. I care too much about Anne, and Henry." He added hastily. "I can't let you do this for me. There's too kuch at stake."

"Regulus, I get it. You and Henry are really close. He doesn't want to leave Hogwarts because he cares about your safety, and you and Anne have feelings for each other." She said. Regulus flushed and mumbled something that Elizabeth chose to ignore. "And of course there's a lot at stake, but it would tear Anne and Henry apart if something happened to you. Please just give it a chance."

Regulus sighed.

"Alright. We can look into it."

Elizabeth rushed forward and hugged him tightly. He stiffened for a moment before returning the hug."

"Thank you. I'm going to do everything I can to help you." She said when they pulled away. Regulus nodded.

"Thank you, Elizabeth."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't believe it's already Easter vacation. Soon enough, the year will be over." Edmond commented, throwing himself onto a seat in the compartment. Elizabeth groaned.

"Don't make me think about it. I don't even know how to start my life after Hogwarts."

"You'll probably get married to James or something." Edgar said. Elizabeth blushed and Edmond scowled.

"We're definitely not ready to get married. In fact, I don't think I'll be ready to get married for a long time. Besides, our relationship isn't that serious."

"Have you said the 'L word'?" Edgar asked.

"It was briefly mentioned a week or two ago. I think we're both just taking it at a steady pace. There's no reason to rush into this."

"What do you mean, 'briefly mentioned'?" Edmond demanded. "You can't just say you love each other and move on from it."

"We didn't say we loved each other." Elizabeth said coolly. "And I don't have to explain myself to you. I don't need your permission to be in a relationship, and Mum and Dad already said it was fine."

Edmond huffed and slumped in his seat.

"I wish you would just tell me this stuff. I like to be in the loop."

"Well, I'll let you in on the newest Henry and Isobel gossip." Elizabeth said. Edmond and Edgar leaned closer.

"As you know, she and Davies broke up, but then, she and Henry went on an unofficial date the other day." Elizabeth said, satisfied. Edmond groaned.

"Why do all of my siblings have better dating lives than I do? I'm a seventh year!"

"So am I, I'll remind you, and you're just too picky. I was telling Lily about it, and she..." Elizabeth faltered, noticing Edmond's flush when she mentioned Lily.

"Merlin, you like Lily!" She realized. Edgar grinned widely.

"How fantastic! She's very much single and sitting on this very train." He commented. Edmond blushed deeply and looked at the ground.

"Listen, it's not a big deal, and I'm certainly not doing anything on the way home for the holidays. I'll just...talk to her when we get back." He said. Edgar shook his head.

"No, you'll try to weasel your way out of it. You have to go sit with her for the rest of the ride. I'll come with you, I'm an excellent wingman. You don't mind, do you?" He asked, looking at Elizabeth. She shook her head.

"I'll just go sit with James. Go get your lady." She said teasingly. Edmond scowled as Edgar led him out of the compartment. Elizabeth chuckled and grabbed her book, going to find the Marauders' compartment.

She walked down the train, peeking in open compartments until she found the one she was looking for.

"Mind if I crash with you lot? My group abandoned me in the name of love." She said. James looked up and smiled at her.

"Of course! Here, I'll make some room for you." He said, pushing Sirius out of the seat next to him. Elizabeth laughed and sat down.

"So, what have you guys been talking about?" She asked. James shrugged.

"Not much. We've mainly been watching Remus beat Sirius at Wizard's chess. But, I think we'd all benefit from hearing about your previously claimed mission for love."

"Oh, Edgar just found out that Edmond liked a girl, and now they're off to terrorize her. It's nothing too interesting. I'd say Wizard's chess is much more entertaining." She said. Peter shrugged.

"Only if you're playing. Otherwise it's a bore."

"You know, I just got this muggle book for Christmas, and I think you'l really enjoy it." Elizabeth said, holding her book out for Peter to take. He reached for it, but hesitated.

"Are you sure you don't want to read it?" He asked. Elizabeth shook her head.

"I'll make James entertain me. You go ahead."

Peter thanked her and took the book, opening it up. James kissed Elizabeth's forehead, entertwining their fingers. She yawned widely, causing James to chuckle.

"Are you tired?" He asked. Elizabeth nodded. He leaned back so she could rest against him.

"You can sleep on me, if you'd like." He offered. Elizabeth nodded and curled up against him without a word. She felt his hands reach up to stroke her hair before she fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth stepped off the train, trunk in hand. She spotted her family in the crowd before turning back to the Marauders. She hugged Peter, Sirius, and Remus quickly, bidding them goodbye, then turned to James.

He held his arms out, and she fell into them.

"I'm going to miss you." He muttered. Elizabeth nodded.

"Promise you'll write me when you can?" She asked, looking at him. He smiled.

"Obviously. I can't just leave you hanging."

She smiled and kissed him quickly, hearing her mother call.

"Bye. I'll see you soon." She said, pulling away and turning towards her family.

"Bye, I love you." James said. Elizabeth whipped around once she had processed his words, but James was already out of sight, leaving her standing in shock in the middle of King's Cross Station.