19: The Dark Lord's Wrath Part I

-October 15 1991-
Severus could not believe he was about to do this. To be honest, Severus couldn't believe a lot of things that had happened. The fact that the so-called "spy" that Dumbledore had been hiding for years had been one of his tormentors from childhood---one he'd overlooked hundreds of times because no one thought Peter Pettigrew was anything more than a snivelling coward. The fact that when Severus brought it up, Dumbledore had written it off like it was nothing. (Though, Severus really shouldn't be surprised about that, considering he did that during Severus's Hogwarts years whenever the marauders did anything) But the thing that was most surprising was the fact that Severus had finally stood up to the old coot.

Severus smirked thinking about it. It was so therapeutic, putting that senile old man in his place, Severus kind of wished he'd done it sooner. It was a great risk, sure, to openly dare him to use the oath, but logically, Severus knew he'd never do it. It would mean killing him in front of his precious Order---all of whom believe that he could do no wrong, and especially never murder a member---as well as losing a spy. Somehow, Severus figured that Dumbledore wasn't too confident in relying solely on Pettigrew for information.

Not that he'd be around for much longer.

Inadvertently reminding himself of what he was about to do, Severus sucked in a shaky breath. He was really doing this, wasn't he? He took a look around his home, a brush of nostalgia curling up in the back of his mind.

Spinner's End was by no means a lovely place. It held horrid memories from his childhood full of sadness, anger and terror. The decaying walls of his childhood home were scuffed and scratch, and Severus could recall perfectly how each dent in the walls got there---usually from his head being slammed too hard into it. This was the home where he was abused mercilessly, where his mother was murdered.

But there were good memories here, too, however slim. This was the place where he met Lily---sweet, innocent Lily. The first real friend Severus ever had, he met on the muggle swing set down the street---and this was the place where he and his mother danced to the old muggle radio in the garage. The place where he would braid his mother's hair and the place where he was taught potions.

Yes, there were many memories here, both good and bad. Severus found himself reminiscing as he sat in the rickety old chair by the fireplace. From his seat he could see the morning rays peak through his age-old curtains, bathing the kitchen in a warm and comforting glow. The light reflected off the vase sitting in the middle of the table and it danced around the room. Sitting in the vase was a wilting Lily flower, the last flower he'd received from Little One over a month ago, in it's final stages.

The sight of the nearly dead flower sobered Severus instantly. It was almost as if it were taunting him. The dead flower sitting in the old house at the end of a dying street with nothing but a bitter man to care for it. A bitter man that might not be alive for much longer.

Severus sighed and stood from his chair, the old chair legs making a harsh scraping noise against the hearth of the fireplace. He'd put it off for as long as he could, but now it was time to face the music.

Severus allowed himself one final look at his home before he flooed to the Dark Lord's Castle.

The atmosphere in the Castle was stifling, and Severus winced at the fearful glances that were thrown his way from the current occupants. The search for the traitor was still going, and it was clear from the trembling of the occupants' hands that Bellatrix was going overboard in her search.

Severus forced an indifferent mask onto his face to hide the fear he felt on the inside. It was almost second nature to him now, and Severus walked with the confidence he usually portrayed, not giving away any of his true emotions.