--INTERLUDE--

-3000 B.C-
The blank void stretches on for infinity. The room stretches in a way no mortal could understand, one could walk for all of eternity in one direction and never reach the end, similarly, one could walk in said direction for five minutes and somehow find themselves on the other side of where they started. The place could confuse one's mind until they were nothing more than babbling children, struggling to comprehend it's depth. There were no colors in this place, just as there were no shapes and no way to tell if the blank nothingness was a room, a castle, a mansion, or a tiny box. It was an endless expanse of white, and everything blended together so much so that the floor looked like the ceiling, and one would not be able to tell up from down unless they were standing on the floor.

This was what one called 'Purgatory'.

This was where the Beings resided.

Thousands of miles in the void---or perhaps they stood only feet away from you---the Beings sat together. Here, where the Beings lounged, the nothingness void warped into a lush room. The furniture was scarce, but what they did have was beautiful and extravagant. Pillars of white, marbled with the tiniest specks of grey and black (the only color in the entire realm) lined the room. In the center of this 'room', sat two lush chairs, completely opposite to each other, both in design and position, centered around a small table and an elegant chess set.

The chair on the right was as white as the rest of the void, and it would have blended into the blank nothingness if not for the defining texture that forced it to stand out against the blank canvas. It was beautiful, carved of what one would consider marble, and the chair legs, arm rests, and back of the chair were all sculpted in what appeared to be root patterns. If one looked closer, they'd see tiny carved foliage at the top of the back of the chair, making the chair look as though it were a carved tree.

The chair on the left, however, looked so different it was almost comical. It was startling dark---an opposing void of black nothingness that stood out against the white. The chair seemed to be made of living shadows that twisted and squirmed, as though it was fighting it's form. The chair gave off an ominous presence that seemed to heavy the atmosphere around it, mirroring it's owner who currently sat in it.

Said owner was currently pouting, the Being's form was half covered by the shadows of the chair He sat in, His head resting on His hand as He stared at the chess set in front of Him with despair.

A high pitched laugh echoed across the blank nothingness and the Being only pouted further.

"Stop pouting," the other Being said, a bemused expression resting on Her ethereal features. "It is unbecoming of you."

"Everyone is afraid of me," the Being whined, His features pulling into a closed scowl. "It's not fair. I'm getting bored!"

"Then play a game with me," the second Being suggested, gently lifting the black pawn and holding it out to Her counterpart. "I'll provide you with entertainment."

The first Being leveled Her with a deadpanned stare. "Why do you always get to have fun?" the Being asked, resigning Himself to another game as He reluctantly took the chess piece. "The mortals love you. They build shrines for you! Never me, and that's not fair!"

"They've built shrines for you, Dear Brother." She said, moving Her white pawn to attack His.

"Out of fear." the Being said bitterly, watching with disinterest as She took His rook.

"So?" She said, looking at Him with a raised eyebrow. "Is that not what you wanted?"

The Being said nothing for a very long time. The game commenced silently, just as several other had, and He wanted with a blank expression as His Dear Sister took His king, ending the chess game.