43: ...There is Quiet

-December 3, 1991-
"Change it." He snarled, slamming his hands down onto the table. Fate said nothing, merely looking up at Death with a raised eyebrow.

"You messed up my game," She said, gesturing to the scattered chess pieces on the ground. "Is something the matter, Brother?"

"I know you planned something," Death said, looming over Her. "I am asking you to change it."

"I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, Dear Brother," Fate said softly, waving Her hand so that the chess pieces were righted again. "And even if I did, I wouldn't change things because you cannot interfere with my plans."

"I know something is about to happen!" Death shouted. "I feel it. Something is about to change. The universe is about to shift drastically, and I fear that my Master and my Companion will suffer for it."

"You are the one who wanted a Master," Fate reminded Him, moving her pawn forward. "Calm down and play a round with me."

"I don't have the time to play chess, Sister! Leave the game for a moment and listen to me---"

"Brother, I assure you, you have the time to play," Fate said. "Sit. Play with me as we speak."

Blowing out a harsh breath of air, Death sat down on his chair and moved forward a black pawn, ignoring His Dear Sister's smug smile. As Fate moved Her next piece, Death waited patiently for Her to continue. "Well?" he asked, tapping His finger against the board.

"This plan is necessary," Fate spoke, and Death moved his pawn again. "You wanted your Master. I have devised a way to give him to you."

Death froze. "What do you mean?"

"You will see soon," Fate answered, moving Her knight. "Why do you fret? Isn't this what you wanted?"

"I am content with how things are now," Death said carefully. "Why do things need to change?"

"All things change, Brother," Fate said with a dismissive wave of Her hands. "Why fight it when it's much easier to accept it and go with the flow?"

"What is coming?"

Fate smiled. "You cannot fight it," She said. "It is inevitable. Let it happen, Dear Brother, to fight it would cause more pain."

Her knight captured His rook.

_______

..............

________

He was awoken by the sound of apparition, and Gellert slowly cracked open his eyes to see Albus standing in his cell. It was rather odd for him to visit Gellert again so soon, and Gellert pushed himself up on one elbow to look at the man. "Why are you here, Albus?" Gellert asked, watching with wariness as his ex-lover paced the cold ground. "This is unlike you."

"It's time, Gellert," Albus said, raising his head to meet Gellert's gaze. Gellert's eyes widened when he saw his eyes. Albus' usually twinkling eyes were wide with mania, the sight only convincing Gellert that the Albus he once knew and loved was long gone. "It's time to save the world again."

"When is the last time you slept?" he asked, leaning against the cold stone walls.

"I've been busy planning," Albus said, ignoring the concern. "Soon the world will go back to the way it was meant to be. The Dark Magic will be gone, and our kind will be free from it's corrupting presence."