Part Two - Chapter Nine

Vince crosses his arms and stares deeply into my eyes, however once again he seems emotionless. It really bugs me, I'm usually pretty well at guessing how people feel but Vince is a different story and it really pisses me off.

"What business would you like to know about Evanna?" He asks.

"This one! The one which involves beatings and the guns and the violence!" I say, raising my voice slightly.

Vince says, he slowly places both of his elbows onto the desk.

"Be honest" I say.

"We are part of the Italian mafia" he states simply.

I stare up at my oldest brother dumbfounded. A wave of mixed emotions flow through my body, I don't exactly know how to feel. Should I be angry at them for not trusting me and hiding something so big? Or should I be happy, not only do I love gangs I've always secretly wanted to be apart of one?

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask.

"We didn't want you to know as we believed you would be in less danger" he says.

I can't help but let out a scoff.

"Yeah, being beaten to a inch of my life is less danger" I say.

His eyes darken and he lifts his finger, pointing it directly at me he says.

"Drop that attitude or I won't tell you anymore"

I stop myself from rolling my eyes. There goes to decent Vince from earlier this morning.

"Sorry" I mumble.

"Any other questions Evanna?" He asks.

"Yeah actually, did mom leave because of this?" I say.

He nods.

"Yes, she did. That's when your brothers and I lost all of our respect for her. She ran away with our little principessa and threatened to tell our secrets if we took you back. That is why we don't call her mom and only Melanie" He explains.

"That makes sense" I say with a nod.

Part of what Vince said annoyed me. I'm not annoyed it him, more so my mom. When is occasionally ask mom about dad, she would lie and say 'he was a horrid man, he used to abuse me'

"Vince?" I say, looking up to my brother.

"Yes Evanna" he replies

"Did our dad ever hit mom?" I ask nervously.

Vince's eyes grow dark once again, he stares deeply into my eyes, sending those anxious shiver through my spine.

"Why would you ask such a stupid question Evanna? Our father adored you and your mother, family was everything to him. He died for us and he would most certainly never place a hand on your mother" Vince says, quite defensively but i could understand why.

"I don't know, that's just what mom used to say when I asked about my real dad" I say.

Vince sighs.

"Evanna, I know you loved your mother but she wasn't always the nicest of people. To others who weren't apart of our family thought she was amazing but to our father she was horrid. She took advantage of him, I may have been only been fourteen but I knew she was no good" he says.

I stop and think. My whole life has been a complete lie. My mom was lying to me for basically all of my life, I didn't even know I had brothers till a year ago. I just wish life could be more straightforward, you know. Like having two parents who adore each other and their child. How great would that be, guess I'll never find out.