Chapter 5

"I remember standing behind my brother as he fought supernaturals. I always knew he'd win. He looked so cool. Whenever he turned around i was greeted with a warm smile. I always thought he wore that smile even when he was in battle too...."

Kou looked at Teru with a frightened look on his face as he was in front of the injured Hanako. Instead of his brother's usual smile, he only saw a cold look on his brother's face.

"Everytime....in every battle....was this the face you were really making....Nii-chan."

"He is a dangerous supernatural. I'm going to exorcise him here and now, Kou. So if you could get out of the way......"

"N-no......"

Teru sighed as it was sad to hear Kou say that. Teru tugged on the beads that he wore around his wrist. When he did, Kou suddenly realized that he was being restrained by them. He instantly realized the beads were meant to restrain supernatural. As Teru walked towards Hanako, he smiled at his brother.

"You just aren't mature enough, Kou. No need to bother yourself with all these unnecessary thoughts."

As Kou was at a lost for words, Teru stood in front of Hanako. As he looked at the apparition, he held his sword near Hanako's neck.

"Haven't seen you since yesterday, School Mystery. Glad to see you're doing well."

"Hakujoud-"

Suddenly Hanako and Teru were both inside of a cage made of lightning that was dark in color. As Hanako looked surprised, Teru merely smiled. 

"I won't let you have your way. I wouldn't want to make this fight more difficult."

Hanako glared at Teru as he grabbed his knife. However, Teru wasn't bothered by it in the slightest. Though his face became serious.

"No matter how you try to cover it up, in the end, you can never hide what you truly are. A troublesome ghost that's unstable at the drop of a hat and harms the living at the slightest provocation. Self serving and violent......you took life from another and yet you cling stubbornly to the Near Shore and refuse to accept your own death. To be perfectly honest, its painful to look at."

Hanako's eyes were widened as he heard every word Teru has just spoken. While Hanako was in shock, Teru quickly dashed behind Hanako and kicked the back of his head. Hanako dropped his knife from the impact as he heard it hit the ground.

As Hanako reached out his hand for his knife, Teru stabbed his sword through Hanako's hand. Afterwards, Teru stomped his foot on Hanako's head as the aspiration felt his entire body being shocked. Meanwhile all Kou could do is watch while he struggled to free himself.

"I've watched Teru-nii fight my whole life. I know how this goes. He knocks his opponents off balance to give himself an opening, hurts them with spiritual energy, then zap. The lightning goes through the spirit blade he uses and  a destroys his opponent's soul directly from the inside."

Kou keeps trying to break free from his bindings. He needed to do something or else Hanako would get exorcised. Then he wondered.....should he do anything.

"Maybe i've been wrong all along. Yeah......i'm nothing. I'm weak. I never exorcised a supernatural before and i always wanted to be like Teru-nii. A hero fighting for what's right.....so this is probably the right thing to-"

Before Kou finished that thought, he heard Hanako screaming in immense amounts of pain. He saw Teru taking his sword out of Hanako's hand as he prepares to exorcise him. Teru just looks at Hanako as he held his sword.

"Just stop fighting it. You've been in the Near Shore for how many years now? It's about time you accepted your punishment."

"Ha......hahahahah. Punishment?"

"What's so funny?"

"You living people are all the same. You all think dying....disappearing...is the best way to atone. As if the life of a murderer can atone for anything."

As Teru's blade was near his neck, Hanako looked up. Only his eyes were full of tears as he looks at Teru.

"Destroying me would only be a release! I....I still have things i need to do!!!!"

Kou's eyes widen in shock as he heard Hanako's words. As he looked at the apparition, he began to wonder. Was Hanako helping people his way for atoning. As he tries to break free from the beads, a knife flew by him and destroyed his bindings. When he looked to see he threw it, all he saw was a boy with black hair and glasses walking back into the school.

"I see you have your own issues that you're working through. But none of it matters. You're dangerous and i'm going to exorcise you. That's all there is to it."

Teru suddenly stabbed his sword through Hanako's chest. Just as he was about to destroy his soul, Kou suddenly grabbed his sword and removed it from Hanako's chest.

"Kou..how...when did you break free?"

As Teru looked to the side, he saw a familiar looking knife. Soon Kou pushed him to the ground and held his sword tightly as his hand was bleeding.

"Kou, stop this! You're bleeding!!!"

"Stop treating me like i'm an idiot!!!! I know i'm weaker and a lot dumber than you, but that doesn't mean i have to stop thinking!!! You're right, i know next to nothing about him. And i think it was wrong of me to judge him as good or evil with how little i know. It's gonna take time and i'll get stronger, Teru-nii.  Then i'll decide what to do. If i need to, i'll exorcise him! So keep your hands off him. I'll watch over him so he doesn't attack a student. He's my responsibility!!!!"

Teru thought about this for a moment. He supposed it wouldn't hurt to just keep an eye on him. With a small smile he grabbed the familiar knife he saw and walked away.

"Honestly, we should exorcise him right now. But i don't want you to hate me, Kou. So don't forget what you said. But i'm only doing this once, Kou."

Having said that Teru left the school roof. As he went to the student council's room, he threw the knife towards Shiki as the boy caught it and put it away.

"Mind explaining why you freed Kou back there, Shiki."

Shiki just turned around and had a small smile on his face. As he approached Teru he said one thing.

"I thought i told you already. Someone has to put you in check when you do something idiotic."

Teru couldn't help but smile. As they both walk out the room, he finally gave his response.

"Yep, you've got me there."

~Meanwhile~
Yashiro is seen inside of a library. She was hoping to find out something Hanako. However she got no results, as she started to move the books fell down.

"Is this yours?"

"Oh thank you...very much...."

As Yashiro looked to see who was helping her, she saw a girl with green hair holding a book out towards her. As Sakura stared back at Yashiro, she asked her something.

"So then, you're interested in the Seven Mysteries?