Chapter 37

Arcueid quickly puts her head on Shiki's chest. As she did, she listened closely for any signs that his heart was still beating. While she was doing this, Yashiro could only look in horror of what happened.

"This.....can't be real can it. Are the supernatural....really capable of something like this?"

"I'm sorry to bother you, but can you give me a hand."

Yashiro looked at the girl she just met. She saw her lifting Shiki's body by wrapping one of his arms around her. Yashiro didn't know how to react, but she didn't want Shiki to die either. Soon she helps the girl lift Shiki.

"Thank you very much. I can lead the way to his home."

"Okay, but who are you?"

As they were getting closer and closer to Shiki's house, Arcueid smiled as she looked at the girl who helped her bring Shiki to his home.

"My name is Arcueid Brunstud. Its nice to meet you Miss........."

"Yashiro. I'm Yashiro Nene!"

Arcueid nods her head as Yashiro and her both walk into Shiki's home. The girls placed Shiki's body on the floor as Arcueid gets up and looks for a first aid kit. As she did, she looked at Yashiro.

"Yashiro, take Shiki's phone out of his pocket and call the first person you recognize on his contacts."

Yashiro nods her head and did what Arcueid suggested. As she took out Shiki's phone and looked at his contacts, she only saw 3 numbers. Arcueid was the third, Kou was the second, and the first one was........

~Meanwhile~
Teru was at home as he was thinking of what to do. He knew Shiki's life was short but he refused to just sit by and do nothing. Soon he heard his phone ringing and saw that it was Shiki calling. He answered the phone to see what was going on.

"Shiki, is something the ma-"

"M-Minamoto-senpai!!! You need to hurry over here!!!! Its Aozaki-senpai! Something happened to him!!!!"

Teru recognized this voice. It was the first year girl he met before. But for her to call him with Shiki's phone, he could tell something wasn't right. Teru quickly left his home and ran to Shiki's place as fast as he could.

"Yashiro, is he still breathing?! Yashiro!!!!!"

As Teru looked at his phone, he saw that the battery was dead. As he approached Shiki's home, he entered inside and saw Yashiro sitting next to Shiki's body along with another woman.

"What happened?"

As Yashiro was about to speak, Arcueid puts an arm in front of her and shook her head. Shiki was in this mess because of her, she should be the one to tell him.

"I'm sorry, this was all my fault. My name is Arcueid Brunestud."

Teru's eyes widened as he heard the woman introduce herself. That was the same name that he saw in the book that School Mystery 5 showed him. He soon remembered what that page said.

"Shiki will die because of one person. A woman named Arcueid."

Arcueid saw that Teru was glaring at her. She could tell that unlike Shiki, that Teru was an actual exorcist. Soon Arcueid decided to tell Teru and Yashiro the situation.

"I'll be straight forward. The person that Shiki was fighting was a Dead Apostle named Roa. Shiki and i have been eliminating Dead Apostles in the city that were humans who became victims of Roa. If we don't eliminate Roa, then this whole city will be a population of vampires."

Yashiro and Teru were both in shock when they heard this. They had no idea that Shiki was doing so much after he leaves the school. However, Teru could tell there was more to this situation than just that.

"I can tell there is some truth in your words, but what do YOU gain from saving this city."

"You see....i'm far weaker than i usually am. The first reason being that Shiki killed me when we first met. However, the second reason is because when i fought Roa before, he managed to steal some of my own power."

"So if Roa is eliminated, you'll get your powers back and there won't be anymore Dead Apostles here. I can tell it isn't that easy."

Arcueid nods her head as she looked at Shiki's body. However, she noticed something different. She heard Shiki's breathing becoming more steady. With a smile on her face, she looked at Teru and Yashiro

"He's alive. His breathing is stable now."

Yashiro and Teru both smiled. They were happy to know that Shiki was alive. However, one thing didn't make sense to Teru. Why did Shiki have to be the one to kill Roa and why was Roa near the school to begin with? As he asked Arcueid this question, she decided to speak up.

"Roa can reincarnate himself into another body when his current vessel is killed. The reason Shiki should kill him is because of his eyes. His eyes can see the death of all things. So if he can kill the existence of Roa himself, then Roa won't be able to come back to life anymore."

"I understand that, but why was Roa near the school?"

"I can think of a reason. I think Roa wants me or an exorcist to kill him. Now tell me, what would happen if someone besides Shiki killed Roa and he reincarnated into the body of a human or an apparition at the school? Who would he go after next?"

Teru thought about it for a moment. What would be the most suitable vessel for Roa? It could be him or Kou, one of the Seven Mysteries, or even......

"No that can't be!!!!"

"What is it, Minamoto-senpai?"

"It seems you figured out why Roa was so close to the school. It was to find a suitable vessel in case he does end up being killed. His conclusion was three things. An exorcist, one of the seven mysteries, and finally............"

Arcueid points a finger at Yashiro. She could tell that Yashiro wasn't a normal human. In fact, now that Roa has made contact with Yashiro, she was positive.

"........a human who has bound themselves with one of the Seven Mysteries. Yashiro, now that Roa has come into contact with you, there's a chance he chose you as a candidate to be his next vessel."

Yashiro didn't know how to react to what Arcueid just said. That monster she just saw Shiki fight could be after her, what was she going to do? As she panicking on the inside, she didn't notice that Arcueid was deep in thought.

"But that leaves only one question left. Why does Roa know so much about Shiki?"