the letters

Hope and Lizzie both felt alone; the shorter girl now had a girlfriend but still felt empty inside. Lizzie was gaslighted every day, not knowing if the person she was seeing was imaginary or real. She didn't know if he would come back and do something worse than he already did. She started getting messages that every time she read them, they would disappear, making her wonder if she was imaging it. The messages kept telling the girl to kill herself and to go join her sister.

At first, the messages didn't affect her, but after getting them a hundred times, she thought of her absence. Would they care, or would they go about their day? She especially though what Hope would think. Would she cry every day, or would she not think about it. Would she cry for a few weeks and move on with her life? All these questions swirled around her head, but she thought she would try and get help for what she was feeling before deciding on what she was going to do. It was Wednesday and another therapy session, but this time she wouldn't allow anyone to scare her off.

She walked through the halls with her head up, knowing that justice was going to be served. She knocked on Emma's door, but no one answered. She was knocking again, but this time a little louder when someone from behind her tapped on her shoulder, making her jump.

"Emma left with Dorian," Hope said

"what?" Lizzie said confused

"I heard her telling your father goodbye this morning. She said that she couldn't be somewhere she can't be safe." Hope said walking away thinking about the other girl

Something in Lizzie clicked. She was ready to say goodbye. It wasn't easy for Lizzie to trust anyone, but she opened up to Emma about a lot of things, and she knew almost everything about her. It came to a shock to Lizzie that she would leave without saying goodbye. She ran to her father's office and knocked. Her mother opened the door seeing how mad her daughter looked at didn't say one word she let her walk into the office and closed the door behind her.

"How could you do this to me," Lizzie said, crying.

"honey, what did he do?" Caroline said looking stern at Alaric

"he let Emma leave when he knows that I only talk to her."

"It wasn't his choice; we can find you someone else to talk too if that's what you want."

"no, I want Emma I trust her. I don't want to talk to a stranger." Lizzie said

An idea popped into the mother's head "okay, what if you didn't have to talk to them face to face? You could write a letter about how you are feeling, and another student will tell you how they feel, and you try and help each other. You don't know who the other is."

Lizzie smiled and nodded she thought that it was a good idea maybe someone understands how she is feeling and can help somehow. "thank you, mom," she said while walking away.

*

Caroline set up the whole thing, and the entire school participated. The letters were protected by magic, so only the true receiver could read it. All the students were matched up with someone at random, and no one knew who they were talking too. Lizzie tried to get her mother to tell her who she was talking too, but she didn't even know or; lied about knowing. The young blonde started writing her first letter trying to keep it short, but as she wrote, the words starting pouring out on to it until there was no more room on it. She debated whether she should send it but knew if she wanted help, she had to ask for it and send it to its recipient. Everyone had three days to write a letter, so on Friday, all the letters would be sent to the person who it was intended to be sent by, and no one can try and steal someone else's message.

Hope had done the same thing she wrote an entire letter on her situation on how she's dating a girl she has no feelings for and send it off. Both girls nervously anticipated a message back from someone that they may or may not know. But what the two girls didn't know was that they were writing to each other. You can call it dumb luck or a mother's way to bring two girls back together.

*

Friday had arrived, and everyone was in their room waiting for their letter, Lizzie was sitting by her bed when she got hers it just appeared in front of her. She closed her laptop and opened it and started reading it.

"Hi, I don't know if I'm supposed to say my name or not or how this works, but you can call me Faith, and I need help I don't know what to do. This girl and I are dating, but the problem is that I don't feel attracted to her. She is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but I don't see a future with the girl, and whenever we do anything like kiss or cuddle, I don't feel anything. I don't want to break her heart. She's nice, and I could tell her heart was broken before, and I don't want her to feel that pain again. I can't believe that I'm using this for dating advice, but I don't have many friends here."

Lizzie put the letter down and started her response immediately.

*

Hope saw the letter and opened it slowly to realize that it was a lot more than she had written. She took a sip of her water and started to read it.

"to whoever is reading this I need help, I don't know what to do. A couple of weeks ago, I was assaulted by a boy in the school; he is trying to keep me quiet. Every time I try and ask for help, he was there, I couldn't get the words out." Hope stopped reading and saw the tears on the paper that had dried. She continued to read it. "he keeps gaslighting me. I don't know if I'm imagining him being everywhere or if he is following me. I get messages every day multiple times an hour to end my life, and they disappear just as I read them. Sometimes I wonder if I'm imaging those too. I don't want to be afraid anymore. I know if I do what he keeps telling me to do, he would win, but I would finally be in peace and not tortured every day. This is the last chance I'm giving myself to ask for help without him knowing, and if this is mordaciously sent to him, please kill me. If you don't respond, I understand and won't judge you I know not all people want to get in the middle of these situations. Please help or tell me what to do".

Hope started tearing up not knowing how to help this girl but understood a message back was the least she can do to try, so she wrote back and took the letter to the office to get it sent to the other girl. She walked the halls, and it was emptier than usual everyone was probably reading or writing a letter back to who sent them one. She walked into the office and saw a certain blonde giving a message to the women standing behind the counter.

The blonde turned around to see Hope looking at her, but she had tears in her eyes. She walked past the shorter girl, but before leaving, watched her give the letter to the lady and walked away but noticed something on the back of the letter but quickly took it out of her mind and left.

*

Hope felt guilty she should say something to someone, she didn't know who to go too but the school headmaster. She walked to his office and knocked. She waited impatiently until someone opened the door. When someone did, it wasn't who she expected.

"Hope I was wondering when you were going to say hi," Caroline said, hugging the young girl. Hope felt uneasy in her arms but safe at the same time.

"I didn't know you were in school," Hope said

"it's okay your here for a reason what's wrong."

"it's about the letter I received."

"what's wrong, do you need a new partner?"

"nothing like that. It's just what she wrote to me. I should tell you something." Hope said

"don't tell me it's between you and her, and I don't want to violet the trust if something is wrong to come and tell me if not try and help her."

Hope nodded and left. She walked backed to her room, and when she walked in, a letter was on her bed. She wondered how it came so fast, but needless to say, she opened it hoping inside was something that could help.

"Hi Faith, you can call me Bonnie, I read your letter and from what I can tell is that you don't want to hurt this girl, but you don't like her as she does to you. The only advice I can give is to let her down easy because, for whatever reason, you decided to date her doesn't matter anymore. The longer you wait, the more she will be hurt. Explain to her that it was never your intention to hurt her, but you're not interested in her."

Hope closed the letter and knew she was right coincidentally. She heard a knock and said, come in. The door opened, and there, her girlfriend stood to look at her.

"Hi, babe, what are you doing?" Penelope asked

"Come sit down we need to talk."

She sat next to Hope, but she scooted away, not even making eye contact.

"Hope what's wrong."

"I think we should break up," Hope said starring in the corner where the box stood

"if you are going to break up with me, look me in the eye. wait, what are you looking at." Penelope said angered, pointing her head to the box.

She got up and walked to it and said, "why do you keep looking at this box? Why is it so important?"

"Penelope, I'm sorry I just don't feel the same way as you. it's me and not you, and I never meant to hurt you."

Penelope noticed Hope, still not looking at her face. She opened the box and dropped the lid. "are you kidding me. Twice I get left for Lizzie, your too much of a coward, to be honest with me."

Hope tried to say something, but it was too late the raven-haired girl left. Hope walked to the box, realizing that she didn't feel anything for Penelope because she was in love with the blonde. She picked up the painting and looked at it for a while, wondering how she can fix the things she did when she got to the school.

*

Lizzie saw the letter appear and knew that this was her last chance at asking for help.

"I'm so sorry that happened to you; the first thing I would tell you to do is tell someone, but if you're not ready, I understand, and I don't want you to think that I am pushing you. This is a safe space between you and me inside the envelope you will find a phone and a number inside you can text me twenty-four seven, and I will be there for you. Just please don't end your life because you matter and are loved, sometimes it seems like life is hard, but that's just us getting stronger. I love you remember that. Sincerely, Faith."

Lizzie put down the letter and reached for the phone she opened it and saw the contact. She typed out a simple "hello" and waited for a response.

A/n

Leave theories