Chapter Two- Annie's POV- The Daughter of Victoria and Kate

My life had been pretty cool up to a point. I had two beautiful mothers who cared deeply for me and were wonderful, check. I was on route to becoming the student president, check. I had a boyfriend...not so check. I mean, it would be okay, of course. We were two teenagers in high school and I was pretty sure that we would be able to straighten things out at some point...maybe. Anyway, that was the least of my concerns. I had to finish a history report on the events of 2020, and I needed to do it soon. Hence why I was currently wandering around the library at my high school- Athena High School to be exact- go Gladiators, in search of a book to support my assignment. 

Everything seemed peaceful, chill and fine as I let my hands trace over the spines of several non-fiction titles, searching for that perfect book, but then the book decided that it wanted to choose me rather than I, it, and the forces of gravity led the damn thing to falling right onto my head. 

"Ouch," I groaned, quickly reaching down to get it, once I stood back up, I saw that a girl was stood nearby me. She had dark indigo-coloured hair, and a faint smile of amusement on her face, but she also looked concerned, too. I was glad that it had been her who found me and not one of the jocks- they would probably have picked up the book by now and started shouting 'Hey Jackson, go long!'. I felt my face tense at the very thought of it. 

"Are you okay?" the girl asked. 

"Who me?" I asked. 

"Nah, I was talking to the ghosts," she said, "Yeah, you. I'm Imogen by the way," she replied with a smirk. 

"Oh," I said, tucking some stray hairs behind my ear, "I'm Annie," I said, but she looked as though she already knew that, "And yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. I don't know why the book decided to attack me, but that was all on it, not me," I expressed. 

Imogen released a slight chuckle. 

"Right," she replied. "Well, as long as you're all good...I should probably get back to studying," she said. 

"I don't think I've met you before," I said. 

"I'm new here...joined three days ago so I've been catching up in the library- I return to classes today, though," she explained. 

"Oh, cool," I said, glancing down at the book in my hand for a moment, hoping that it wouldn't drop down onto my foot, next. "What class do you have?" I asked, then, but by the time I looked back up, Imogen was gone. 

I gave a little shake of my head in disbelief. Then again, she had said that she needed to get back to studying, I supposed that she had chosen to do that now. 

So, I walked away from the book shelf with my new book in hand, and wandered towards one of the main tables to sit with my best friend, Gina Candor. 

"Hey Annie," Gina said with a smile. 

"Annie, Annie, Annie!" some of the jocks yelled out behind us. 

I just gave a simple eye roll. I think some of them just wanted to get my attention for kicks. I mean...I wouldn't say I was too popular, but running for student president certainly put you into the high school lime light, as it were. 

"Ignore them. They're like wasps, they'll buzz away in a little while," she said in her warm tone. 

I hoped so. 

Gina was the greatest friend. She studied with me despite the fact I knew she would rather be doing anything but that, and she was also incredibly thoughtful and gifted musically. We bonded over our creative interests, and I soon met her twin brother, Jay, too, who soon joined our table in the library.