Chapter Eight- Assignments and Heartbreak

Tuesday rolled around more quickly than I expected, and I knew that art club was only a day away. I decided to focus most of my day on studying in the library, and finally reading that book on 2020 that I had gotten myself. The overall consensus was that the year was incredibly too strange, filled with too many scary scenarios, and I was filled with a gratitude that I hadn't had to live through it. 

I had worked all through the previous evening until the moon was beginning to go away, so the overall consensus on that situation was: Annie can be a dumb-ass at times. She spends way too long studying when she should be sleeping and way too much time sleeping when she should be studying. 

One of these days I was going to work all this out. Probably. Don't hold your hopes out, folks. 

I quickly got ready for school, and rubbed some concealer under my eyes, hoping that it wouldn't appear too orange against my pale-peach complexion. I then headed out of the house after yelling a quick goodbye to my mothers, and hopped into Gina's car. I was sat in the back this time around, beside Imogen, which presented us with plenty of time to talk to one another. Although I wasn't certain on whether she actually wanted to talk to me in return. 

I ran a hand through my hair before turning my attention back to Imogen sat beside me. 

"Hey," I said. 

She turned to me with her kind deep-set blue eyes and smiled, revealing her perfectly straight teeth. The jig was up. I wished I had made my parents force me to get braces when I was a teen, alright? I could admit to that. 

Oh well, my teeth were okay. We weren't all meant to look perfect. 

As much as it may have killed me to admit it, from an aesthetic perspective alone, Imogen was pretty close to perfection. 

"Hi Annie, are you alright?" she asked me with a caring tone. 

I swept some of my frustratingly over-grown blonde fringe out of my own blue eyes before I replied. 

"Who, me? Yeah, I'm fine," I said. 

Yeah, as we all knew that the words 'I'm fine' were indicative of a person who was entirely emotionally stable. 

Imogen put on her reading glasses then as just looked me up and down. 

"Yeah, I'm getting something here...I'm getting...hm, what is that? Oh yeah, bullshit," she said. 

I was a little surprised at her being so honest. I mean, the girl was flat-out calling me out, but I couldn't do much to disagree with her there. 

"Alright, I'm just a little bit upset about Lake," I admitted quietly, to her, in particular. 

I don't think the twins, who were jamming out to Ariana Grande in the front of the car had quite caught onto that statement. 

Imogen had, though, and she simply gave me an empathetic look. 

Gina turned her attention to me, then. 

"Are you okay, darling?" she asked. 

"Yeah, I will be," I said, "Can you just be civil with Lake today?" I asked her. 

"Sure," she agreed. 

And so we sort of left it at that. Soon we arrived in the parking lot of our high school, and I wandered into the library alongside Gina, and the two of us got on with some work quietly. Gina knew how important it was for me to get this assignment done, and so she remained perfectly peaceful and quiet, which I was highly grateful for. 

I typed away until eventually I finished the assignment. I wasn't sure how I had managed to do it in the space of a day but I supposed that anything was possible if you just believed in yourself. At least, that was the mind of motivational thing that Jay would tell me.